Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE Help, K9 elite trigger bar broke. Need advice.

Default UPDATE Help, K9 elite trigger bar broke. Need advice.

At the range yesterday, my K9 trigger suddenly went south. It would not reset. I figured either a spring or the trigger bar broke. Had a heck of a time getting the slide off, (without being able to normally pull the trigger), but finally accomplished that three handed mission. Removed the grips too and found the trigger bar broken, the rearmost piece that contacts the cam was gone. Never thought that a likely event but it happened. Now I'm wondering if this is a DIY repair or should I sent it back to Kahr. How hard is it to replace? Does the entire trigger assembly have to be dismantled? This is an older elite trigger, made about 2007.

The irony here is that this occurred a few rounds after the RO at the range asked me about the gun and I let him shoot a couple rounds. He said it was much nicer than the range rental and I bragged about the better trigger. Jinxed myself I guess.
    Last edited by ripley16; 03-01-2018 at 01:28 PM.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I'd blame it on the RO.

From the K9 exploded diagram on the kahr sight it looks like the trigger is similar to the polymer guns so the trigger pin would come out which disassembles the whole trigger assembly. I've done this on a couple of my polymer kahrs and while you do have to hold your mouth right to get it all back together it was possible. I used several punches to get everything lined up before reinstalling the trigger pin. I think the first time it took me a couple of hours while also referencing another kahr during reassembly. The next time or 2 it didn't take as long. One note is if I remember right the trigger spring went flying and I had to look for it.

One thing I cant tell is how the trigger pin is held in on the K9. On the polymer frames there is a cross pin that holds the trigger pin in via a grove on the trigger pin and it took a couple of good whacks to get it out.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    One thing I cant tell is how the trigger pin is held in on the K9. On the polymer frames there is a cross pin that holds the trigger pin in via a grove on the trigger pin and it took a couple of good whacks to get it out.
    I just changed out the old "NYPD" parts in a nice used K9 that I got for the 3 parts that converted it to a "very sweet" & Elite (hey, that rhymes!) trigger.

The trigger pin was held in by...

Much friction...

It took many more whacks with a hammer & punch -- even with a 2X heavier hammer than I'd started with -- to get the pin to start to move.

Best thing I did to help was to clamp the frame down solidly on a solid wood bench (over a convenient small hole I drilled for the pin to enter) to eliminate any "bounce" or "rebound" effect from the frame. That did the trick -- plus a little "liquid lubrication" helped too. Luckily, my punch never slipped and scratched the frame, because I'd built up a small "wall" around it with multiple layers of masking tape leaving just a small un-taped hole for the pin to enter. That worked out well.

If you're not shy about whacking on your K9 (gee, that sounds illegal!) this can be a DIY job.

But if you are, then you may want to enlist the help of a gunsmith or send it back to Kahr.

Good luck.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

Sounds like the sear pin on my cz p-01. on the CZ they recommend starting it with a hardened starter punch which I happened to have and like you did I had to use a REAL hammer. The small ball peen hammer didnt do it.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I've never been into one that far. My gut response is send it back and let the experts take care of it.

That being said, what one man can do another can do. How many times I wished I would have let the other man do it though.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Old No7 View Post
    I just changed out the old "NYPD" parts in a nice used K9 that I got for the 3 parts that converted it to a "very sweet" & Elite (hey, that rhymes!) trigger.

The trigger pin was held in by...

Much friction...

It took many more whacks with a hammer & punch -- even with a 2X heavier hammer than I'd started with -- to get the pin to start to move.

Best thing I did to help was to clamp the frame down solidly on a solid wood bench (over a convenient small hole I drilled for the pin to enter) to eliminate any "bounce" or "rebound" effect from the frame. That did the trick -- plus a little "liquid lubrication" helped too. Luckily, my punch never slipped and scratched the frame, because I'd built up a small "wall" around it with multiple layers of masking tape leaving just a small un-taped hole for the pin to enter. That worked out well.

If you're not shy about whacking on your K9 (gee, that sounds illegal!) this can be a DIY job.

But if you are, then you may want to enlist the help of a gunsmith or send it back to Kahr.

Good luck.

Old No7
    Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    Sounds like the sear pin on my cz p-01. on the CZ they recommend starting it with a hardened starter punch which I happened to have and like you did I had to use a REAL hammer. The small ball peen hammer didnt do it.
    Very good advice here. I would like to add that I found using a "starter punch" helped when I disassembled my K9. My starter punch is made from a small brass punch. It has a short shaft to reduce any flex.

Here's a video of a gent doing a full disassembly of a MK40, it will give you an idea of what's involved with removing the trigger bar on a metal frame Kahr:

IMO, the trouble he mentions having when removing the trigger axis pin might might be attributed to his tools. If he was using that same bench, I don't think it is sturdy enough.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Bummer, I thought that I was the only one to brake trigger bars on 9 mm Kahrs. After replacing two on my pm9 it's always in the back of my mind when I carry it. After watching the video, it's a bit easier on the poly vs metal pistols. I clamp the frame in a wood clamp.

Thanks for all of the helpful comments. The video was very informative. The maker of the video needs to be introduced to the "Ripley Retractor" to aide in removing that pesky back plate. I think I might go ahead and send the gun back to Kahr. The night sights are dim enough to be useless, so I might ask for new ones as well as the repair. Sights can be a challenge to change as well. Thanks for the help... as always a great, well informed community of forum friends.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Update:
    Kahr came through in a very nice way. I decided to return the gun to them for a repair and emailed the service dept. for a return authorization. It came the next morning accompanied by a Fed Ex shipping label. Great news because when I checked to see what the overnight fee was for a small package it came to $70. Thank you Kahr. Ian Burr, with Kahr, stated the turn around time is 6 weeks. Can't wait to get it back. I expect the repair to cost an hour in labor plus the part cost, very reasonable considering the shipping savings. I was assuming I'd have a local FFL mail the gun for me vis USPS for around $35.

Good start to a downer of a situation. I hate when a gun breaks.

Good luck with the repair!

I wonder "what size hammer" they use at Kahr?!

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH