Xssights   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Home alarm, my p45 and the police

Default Home alarm, my p45 and the police

Interesting evening. Nephew calls telling my wife that he was notified that his home alarm has gone off and could we check it out while he is away shopping. Normally i would say no, but my wife was going with or without me. We live 1/3 of mile from him where a lot of homeless have been wandering around lately in the neighbourhood breaking into homes and getting Christmas goodies. So I grab my fanny pack that has my p45 and a high quality flashlight and head over. We checked the perimeter and everything looked ok. We have a key and checked the inside. Wife turned off alarm and called alarm company to cancel police call. As she was doing that, I notice a hand letting go of the top of the back fence in my flashlight beam while looking out the back slider. I placed the p45 back in the pack and said I want to check the other side of the yard. Just as I walked out of the front door, a female city police officer with her hand on her holstered side arm was looking at me. I immediately put my hands up and identified myself and asked if she wanted to see my ID. Obviously the hand i saw on the fence was hers. She said yes and I told her per Calif law that I am armed. I also realized I forgot my id in my hurry. She asked where was my weapon and asked if I have a permit which I affirmed and told her where my pistol was. She said I'll take the weapon from you and not to move. I thought oh no she is going to have problems getting to it but she undid the latch like a pro and went through the pockets of the pack. My wife presented her id. She asked how we are related to the owner and that I didn't look good coming out of the house with a wool beanie and a hoodie. I realized right then and there that she was completely right. She looked around the house a bit and was on her way. Never asked for my permit which I should have had but did not. Response time was great and turned out to be a false alarm. Tough job. Seeing a dude leaving a home with a wool beanie cap and hoodie...makes their job telling the good guy from the bad hard to do. Uhmm profiling?? Haha.When I got in the car to leave, i looked at my wife and asked her if we are getting old or are cops getting younger. She looked fresh out of college. Glad i holstered before walking out of the house. All in all a good experience and a job well done by the police.
    I am the Living Man

Close call. Glad you are all safe. Thanks for sharing. There could be lessons to learn from your experience. Maybe it’s better to just let the police check out the house?
    ​O|||||||O

Did you ever figure out what tripped the alarm?
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Close call. Glad you are all safe. Thanks for sharing. There could be lessons to learn from your experience. Maybe it’s better to just let the police check out the house?
    Yep that was my first thought. Nothing there that can't be replaced but wife was fixing to go no matter what. I can't replace her.
    I am the Living Man

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Did you ever figure out what tripped the alarm?
    No. That leads me to believe it will happen again. When? Going over today to check things out more closely and change batteries. Cop said when the nights get cold, she gets more false alarms for some reason.
    I am the Living Man

Quote Originally Posted by knkali View Post
    Yep that was my first thought. Nothing there that can't be replaced but wife was fixing to go no matter what. I can't replace her.
    I get that. Wives can be pretty persuasive. We used to live in a house next door to our business. Once, during a bad storm, Smiley thought she heard the alarm going off and insisted I go over and check. I knew it was a dumb idea but there was no convincing her. The storm was so bad I had to put my ear to the building to try to hear the alarm. There was none so I trudged back to the house...soaking wet. I found out later a tornado ripped down some buildings about a half mile away. What we won’t do for our womens.
    ​O|||||||O

Glad to read that all worked out as it did. Kudos to all for having level heads.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Key phrase “level heads”. Not much of that going around these days!
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

Did she give you your gun back?
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    Did she give you your gun back?
    Yep. She went through the pockets of the pack but never touched the pistol. Per Calif law I should have been able to produce my permit but she took my word for it. She could have busted my chops but didn't.
    I am the Living Man