Interesting evening. Nephew calls telling my wife that he was notified that his home alarm has gone off and could we check it out while he is away shopping. Normally i would say no, but my wife was going with or without me. We live 1/3 of mile from him where a lot of homeless have been wandering around lately in the neighbourhood breaking into homes and getting Christmas goodies. So I grab my fanny pack that has my p45 and a high quality flashlight and head over. We checked the perimeter and everything looked ok. We have a key and checked the inside. Wife turned off alarm and called alarm company to cancel police call. As she was doing that, I notice a hand letting go of the top of the back fence in my flashlight beam while looking out the back slider. I placed the p45 back in the pack and said I want to check the other side of the yard. Just as I walked out of the front door, a female city police officer with her hand on her holstered side arm was looking at me. I immediately put my hands up and identified myself and asked if she wanted to see my ID. Obviously the hand i saw on the fence was hers. She said yes and I told her per Calif law that I am armed. I also realized I forgot my id in my hurry. She asked where was my weapon and asked if I have a permit which I affirmed and told her where my pistol was. She said I'll take the weapon from you and not to move. I thought oh no she is going to have problems getting to it but she undid the latch like a pro and went through the pockets of the pack. My wife presented her id. She asked how we are related to the owner and that I didn't look good coming out of the house with a wool beanie and a hoodie. I realized right then and there that she was completely right. She looked around the house a bit and was on her way. Never asked for my permit which I should have had but did not. Response time was great and turned out to be a false alarm. Tough job. Seeing a dude leaving a home with a wool beanie cap and hoodie...makes their job telling the good guy from the bad hard to do. Uhmm profiling?? Haha.When I got in the car to leave, i looked at my wife and asked her if we are getting old or are cops getting younger. She looked fresh out of college. Glad i holstered before walking out of the house. All in all a good experience and a job well done by the police.