Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MK9 Purchase Questions

Default MK9 Purchase Questions

I am looking to purchase a MK9 and came across a used gun with one magazine, no box for $400 at a store. The serial # begins with GA0 which I believe is a pretty old gun. Don’t know anything about it but looks to be in pretty good shape other than a few scratches and carry marks. I would prefer to buy a newer gun but the price on this one seems pretty good. Looking for any input from MK owners and if I were to purchase the gun, what kind of work I may want to have done to it or parts replaced given I am assuming it is probably 20+ years old.

Thanks
    Dan

Old isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm proof of that but I toot my own horn.
    There's no telling how long it may have sat on a distributors shelf before it was sold and then how long it sat in a shop.
    It's very difficult to tell really, it may need nothing at all, it might just need a recoil spring if it's been shot a bunch.
    The GA prefix is an early one, the one I borrow for fitting grips is a GA. There's a slight frame difference between it and the later GC?

I've not perused them lately but 400 doesn't sound like a bad price and myself I wouldn't be turned away by the age.

There are of course plus's to buying newer (some of the accessories they sell, mostly grips, don't fit the older models) Again not a deal breaker for me.

Seems I'm kind of talking in circles and probably not helping much but again it's darn hard to tell.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The Colonel is correct. You just never know what a firearm has been through for sure. I prefer the older models over the newer ones. I own an MK that's 18 years old, but I purchased it new. I think that the older models were built better. I don't have any proof of this, but just my gut feeling, and how mine performs. You can forget about some of the extra grips with the older models. I would offer them less because of only having one magazine and no box. Older one would have had a case. If it were me, I would get the Wolff replacement recoil spring set up, and give it a good cleaning. Then, shoot the $#!t out of it. I would probably ask if you could take the grips off and check that area. Could tell a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    The Colonel is correct. You just never know what a firearm has been through for sure. I prefer the older models over the newer ones. I own an MK that's 18 years old, but I purchased it new. I think that the older models were built better. I don't have any proof of this, but just my gut feeling, and how mine performs. You can forget about some of the extra grips with the older models. I would offer them less because of only having one magazine and no box. Older one would have had a case. If it were me, I would get the Wolff replacement recoil spring set up, and give it a good cleaning. Then, shoot the $#!t out of it. I would probably ask if you could take the grips off and check that area. Could tell a lot.
    If I am able to take grips off, what am I looking for that would tell me a lot?
    older models and grips, are you stuck with the grips from the factory?

Other than cleanliness or surface rust under the grips you probably wouldn't benefit all that much from removing them.

Does it have the soft rubber grips as opposed to the harder more plastic feeling grips of the new models. Those are very nice and sought after.

One would have to search for different grips, I don't think Kahr sells them for the early models any longer.

I on occasion make them for the GA but not the newer models since I don't have one to fit too.

I don't make them often, they are kind of a challenge but with arm twisting I do now and then. I'd not let that be an issue for you especially if it has the soft rubber (made by Hogue) original grips.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The older ones could have the older sight dovetail too. There aren't many sights available for those anymore.

There is a photo at this link that shows how to tell them apart: https://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-5t3ce...g?t=1468954480
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse View Post
    The older ones could have the older sight dovetail too. There aren't many sights available for those anymore.

There is a photo at this link that shows how to tell them apart: https://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-5t3ce...g?t=1468954480
    Thanks for all the feedback. I am not feeling it even though I like the price of the older gun. I think I will hold out for a new or newer MK9.

Quote Originally Posted by Drh View Post
    If I am able to take grips off, what am I looking for that would tell me a lot?
    older models and grips, are you stuck with the grips from the factory?
    You can tell how well the firearm was taken care of. Any rust? Dirty? Frame cracks? Have they ever even had the grips off? Kind of like removing the back seat in a car you may purchase. You can tell a lot by how much food and junk are underneath the seat. You can tell whether there were kids, and generally how many people rode in it, and how the previous owner took care of it.

I'd jump on that if I saw it. I have a MK9 and it is a solid pistol. It is a superb pistol for reliability and accuracy.

I have given a lot of thought to my desire to purchase a MK9. I have decided to move forward and buy a new one vs a 20 year old gun. One last question to be answered is standard MK9 vs Elite MK9. Is the extra money for an elite worth the cost and the investment?