Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member looking for first Kahr help/advice

Default New member looking for first Kahr help/advice

Hello everyone. My name is Scott and I live in central Pennsylvania. I’ve been an avid shooter since I was very young, shooting with my dad, uncles and cousins. I have had a license to conceal carry since I was old enough to have one and am rarely without a firearm unless I’m at work (not allowed on their premises). I’m a dedicated shooter that visits local ranges that I’m a member at least once or twice per week. My gun history started with an Interarms Star 9mm and have owned many guns since, including Glocks, Rugers, SIGs, Walthers, etc.

Now onto business...I’ve shot a couple of Kahr pistols, a CM40 and CW9 to be specific. I’m looking for advice on a near future purchase of a Kahr firearm. I have several future plans for Kahr if the first purchase works out and I enjoy the gun and have no reliability issues. I recently started having some issues with my Walther PPS M2 and although there is an easy and relatively inexpensive ($80) fix, it has left me thinking of getting a different EDC weapon. I’ve been pricing some Kahr CM9 and PM9 models at local gun stores and online (Buds). Looks like there is about $200-300 difference in price and I understand all of the differences in why the PM9 is more. That’s not really my issue. The issue is the availability and installation of sights/night sights. From what I’m learning it appears that night sights for the CM9 used to be more readily available but seem to be out of stock now on Kahr’s website. I did find a CM9 on Buds with a front night sight only, but was unsure what rear sight to replace the non-night sight with. It appears that the only option on Kahr’s site is a Meprolight rear.

i know night sights are not absolutely necessary but I like the idea of them and have them on my Walther now, so not really looking to retrogress with a new gun. Buds also has full night sight PM9s but are the “factory” night sights any good? Are they Trijicon front and rear or Trijicon/Meprolight mix? Just looking for advice/opinions/recommendations. Thanks in advance!

-XS

Hi Scott!

Welcome to the forum from the Eastern end of PA.

I have both a CM9 and a PM9. My PM9 has the factory bar/dot sights, and I added the Trijicon night sights to the CM9.

The Trijicon sights offered on Kahr's website are really quite good. They come and go in stock pretty regularly, and IMO are worth the wait.

If you want anything other than Trijicons, the PM9 is your best option.

Both of these guns have been 100% reliable, and I shoot both equally well. I doubt you'll find a better 9mm that's as easy to conceal as they are. Pocket carry, IWB, or OWB - they do it well.

If I had to pick one to recommend to you, I'd say go with the CM9 and just wait for the night sights to come back in stock on the Kahr website. At least you'll be assured the sights are fresh, and good to go for the next dozen years or so.

Good luck with your decision, and let us know how things work out for you.

Thanks for the advice, that’s the way I was leaning but a few of the P series features are nice.

Has anyone had a chance to see/handle/shoot the new S series guns? I was considering a S9 as my first, not so much for conceal carry but for range/home defense/etc. I like that it has a rail for a light/laser and 3 dot sights, but I’d have the same issue with it as the CM9 if I wanted night sights. I might call Kahr today and see if they have an ETA on the next batch.

-XS

New Hampshire, Maine, Texas, Louisiana, Germany, England, Massachusetts, Idaho

No input on the models - only Kahr I own (right now) is the CW45 (.45ACP)
    Love the gun, love the company - great customer support
    Welcome to the forum though, not a lot (really not any) big attitudes here, no one I've seen shame forum members for talking about other companies / models - just decent people with a like interest in shooting helping and talking.

Welcome from Idaho

Thanks for the welcome and responses guys. I’ve been relatively happy with my Walther PPS M2 up until recently when the guide rod/recoil spring assembly starting falling out during disassembly. Contacted Walther and their response was that it was engineered that way and was normal!?! I have going on 1000 rounds through mine and never had the issue before and the Walther parts guy didn’t want to hear it...kind of condescendingly kept repeating that it was normal and designed that way, as if I was bothering him and wasting his time. My plan was to get a PPQ next but after their poor customer service I’ve decided to expand my horizons and see what else might meet my needs.

Only issue with the Kahrs is capacity...best it looks like I can expect out of 9mm is 8+1, which is enough but I was wanting a home defense/range days weapon. Although the new S9 with the rail for a light/laser might fill that role...would just have to train under stress a little more and make every shot count with the limited capacity. I’d also have to get the extra capacity mags for it too, since it comes with two 7 rounders. I’m not interested in the ST9, as I want to be able to conceal carry whatever I get.

-XS

Quote Originally Posted by SentinelXS81 View Post
    Hello everyone. My name is Scott and I live in central Pennsylvania. I’ve been an avid shooter since I was very young, shooting with my dad, uncles and cousins. I have had a license to conceal carry since I was old enough to have one and am rarely without a firearm unless I’m at work (not allowed on their premises). I’m a dedicated shooter that visits local ranges that I’m a member at least once or twice per week. My gun history started with an Interarms Star 9mm and have owned many guns since, including Glocks, Rugers, SIGs, Walthers, etc.

Now onto business...I’ve shot a couple of Kahr pistols, a CM40 and CW9 to be specific. I’m looking for advice on a near future purchase of a Kahr firearm. I have several future plans for Kahr if the first purchase works out and I enjoy the gun and have no reliability issues. I recently started having some issues with my Walther PPS M2 and although there is an easy and relatively inexpensive ($80) fix, it has left me thinking of getting a different EDC weapon. I’ve been pricing some Kahr CM9 and PM9 models at local gun stores and online (Buds). Looks like there is about $200-300 difference in price and I understand all of the differences in why the PM9 is more. That’s not really my issue. The issue is the availability and installation of sights/night sights. From what I’m learning it appears that night sights for the CM9 used to be more readily available but seem to be out of stock now on Kahr’s website. I did find a CM9 on Buds with a front night sight only, but was unsure what rear sight to replace the non-night sight with. It appears that the only option on Kahr’s site is a Meprolight rear.

i know night sights are not absolutely necessary but I like the idea of them and have them on my Walther now, so not really looking to retrogress with a new gun. Buds also has full night sight PM9s but are the “factory” night sights any good? Are they Trijicon front and rear or Trijicon/Meprolight mix? Just looking for advice/opinions/recommendations. Thanks in advance!

-XS
    Hi Scott,
    Here's my experiance with nite sights on Kahrs, PM9's & K9's with nite sights. Wife and I have 2 of each. We started with two 98 K9 Elites with nite sights. Half life was supposed to be about 7 years. After 6 they went totally dark. Sent the slides back and Kahr made good with new nite sights.
    These also only lasted for the period that was advertised as half life. I don't remember if they were Mepros or Trijicons.

During that time we got two PM9's with night sights. Again they died an early death. When talking this over with the then head tech at Kahr. He said they were aware or the problem. It was assumed that since the vials in the sights were small they wouldn't last long. And to add to that, was how long were they on the shelf after being made.

After that we decided to go with Hi-Viz f.o. front sights and Novak black rears, sold by Kahr. And we never looked back. IMHO nite sights are only good for dim light conditions. The then Kahr nite sights were too small to quickly pick up in the dark.

IMHO it's a waste of money, YMMV
    Attached Images Attached Images

I agree with you about the limitations of the night sights, but with the value series the front sight is pinned in...are the high viz sights available for the value series? I know Dawson Precision makes fiber optic front sights. Could be a good recommendation that would be a lot less expensive than night sights. Thanks!

BTW I like the all black PM9 and looks real good with the green sight.

Quote Originally Posted by SentinelXS81 View Post
    I agree with you about the limitations of the night sights, but with the value series the front sight is pinned in...are the high viz sights available for the value series? I know Dawson Precision makes fiber optic front sights. Could be a good recommendation that would be a lot less expensive than night sights. Thanks!

BTW I like the all black PM9 and looks real good with the green sight.
    I forgot that the value series Kahrs have pinned front sights. It may be easier for owners to do their own swaps. The dove tailed K / P series dovetailed front sights are usually a bear to remove. It usually needs a special sight pusher that most shops around here don't have. So Kahr is the go to source for install.

Our front sights have been in for over 10 yrs. If Dawson had them back then I probably would have bought theirs because they're not shrouded, and I could have changed colors and diameters

I don't know what f.o. sights are available for your choice, but I'm gonna have to install another dovetailed front sight in a P9 I recently purchased as a gift for one of my grand daughters as soon as her ccw permit is approved

Here's what I use
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a NC Star universal sight pusher that I bought to put the truglo tfx sights on my Walther so rear sight wouldn’t be a problem for me on the value series, just finding a front that works would be the issue. Could possibly even leave whatever stock rears there are if the front is going to be fiber optic.

New Hampshire, Maine, Texas, Louisiana, Germany, England, Massachusetts, Idaho

Sooner or later Greg will be along.
    I know he has a post out there about knocking the pinned front sight off and angeling the screws in on some Trijicon night sights.

Starting the countdown....