Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Well, I bought a used MK9.....

It can be risky and I really don't care for stain (like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get) but one could sand off the varnish finish and apply a little walnut or darker stain. Sometimes it turns out good and some times no so much.

That's the beauty of wood, all the variations of colors unless of course the variation isn't what you looking for.

For those seeking a burl look, stabilized wood is the ticket. You can get it dyed and if properly done it is strong and not brittle. Not all stabilized wood is equal.

I've had good luck with WSSI, he's got the right forumula. I haven't ordered from him in a few years, it's very expensive but it's the ticket for those willing to pay and they'll last forever.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Well guys..... Remember when I said I was hoping that for some reason since the serial number of the gun I was getting was a high GA that it was cut like the GC and later? Well looky here!!!! And got her cleaned, extension installed and ready for the wood grips, grips screws and maybe new night sights.

I think she's a pretty $400 gun.

Quote Originally Posted by lantern View Post
    Well guys..... Remember when I said I was hoping that for some reason since the serial number of the gun I was getting was a high GA that it was cut like the GC and later? Well looky here!!!! And got her cleaned, extension installed and ready for the wood grips, grips screws and maybe new night sights.

Thanks for the update on that! That's a nice looking MK9 you have there
    Off to update my photo.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Very nice. I'll file that under something I learned today. Thanks!
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

As I suspected you was worrying about something that didn't need to be worried about.

Also added to the mystery now that we know there are old style GA's and new style GA's. Gets more complicated all the time.

Those grips are the new style more polymer type rather than the soft rubber of the early ones, no idea if they are related to the frame change or not.

More I ponder the more confused I get.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Those LTD's aren't mine - just got the pictures off a google search.

Like you, my MK wood grips are a bit lighter in color than I'd like.

You already "infected" me with the custom 1911 grip screw bug. This is my MK as it looks right now....

Very nice! Looks much like mine!

I notice that these grips are thinner than the one's on mine. Keep us informed. I don't want to burst your bubble, but could be problems seeing that the wood grips are a lot thicker. As the world turns............................................

As I believe Alfonse mentioned, I suspect that change was to get the overall width down to that magical 1" even.
    The wood grips sold by Kahr are much thicker than they really need to be but they can never be as thin as these original grips.

I've thinned them so the screws are flush or even sticking up slightly. Even with the screws exposed a bit you don't feel them in the grip.

Guess I need to find a GC MK to play with. The saga continues.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

I got my grips in today and used some of my 1911 screws that I have laying around. Notice that the grip DO NOT have the groove so they should work with older GA frames I believe.

Those look nice and appear to fit well also. Nice wood. Happy ending!
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan