Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, I bought a used MK9.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'm not following Beretta. There's much more metal on the older MK's than the new. They machined away a little strip and added to the grip.
    After looking here earlier I went and found a set of the plastic grips for a new style MK. There is a little extra tab to fit that machined out channel.

On the plastic, if I removed the tab to fit my borrowed older MK there wouldn't be anything for the top grip screw to ride on, just a hole. Not enough material to inlay a piece and make a new mounting hole.

On the wood there might be enough. Many complain that the wood grips are too thick. I've thinned down many of them easily.

I've entertained the idea of installing 1911 bushings on an MK or a K but I think even with the thin bushings I'd have to add too much thickness to the grip.

I'm still pondering this. I'm sure Alfonse is toying with this, be nice to make a grip that would fit both new and old with just a little piece added or taken away. It's not like we're inventing the donut or anything.
    That's what the problem was. Maybe I didn't describe it correctly, since I am not a grip maker. Nothing for the top screw to ride on. Also, the distance between screw holes were different, at least with the samples I tried. Just a smidge. I am sure that a solution can be had, but it's not economically feasible, hence no grip for my LTD model. Since only 400 were made. As far as I know, I tried GA and GC grips and neither were even close.

My LTD model................
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just took my MK apart for a cleaning, and I noticed something interesting on the wood grips.

There is no "tab" around the upper grip screw hole on the wood grip, therefore I see no reason the new wood grips wouldn't fit on the old GA serial number frames. Maybe a tiny bit of fitting, but nothing major.

Mine is a GC serial # MK, FWIW.

It looks like someone at some point removed that little tab just for that purpose.

If there's enough wood for the screw to grab, which there apparently is in your case, that's an easy fix.

Now I need to sort out Beretta's LTD model. I don't know why his mounting holes would be off requiring their own set of grips, don't make sense.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

It looks like someone at some point removed that little tab just for that purpose.
    Those wood grips were purchased new about a year and a half ago directly from Kahr. I did nothing but screw them on.

I've seen pics of an LTD with the wood grips on it too. Maybe just file the holes a tiny bit....

Maybe we've been chasing a unicorn this whole time on these grips not fitting. I can see the plastic ones not being interchangeable, but the wood ones look fine.

Do I get donuts - or better yet - pecan tarts for discovering this?

Maybe it's the fact that Kahr says on their website that the wood grips do not fit GA series firearms. No one, including me, are going to purchase grips where holes need to be enlarged, or major sanding is required, or both, or one longer screw is needed. Then if you don't have it exact, your screws rub on your magazines, keeping them from falling easily. Even with the original grips on mine, I have to be cognizant of how I tighten the screws and how much, otherwise the mag drags. It's a very close tolerance, and if you were to open up the grip holes even just slightly, the way they are manufactured, there is just not enough extra wood around the holes to do this, and be able to screw down the grip screws appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Those wood grips were purchased new about a year and a half ago directly from Kahr. I did nothing but screw them on.

I've seen pics of an LTD with the wood grips on it too. Maybe just file the holes a tiny bit....

Maybe we've been chasing a unicorn this whole time on these grips not fitting. I can see the plastic ones not being interchangeable, but the wood ones look fine.

Do I get donuts - or better yet - pecan tarts for discovering this?

Darn, that is a nice looking little pistol.

Git yourself some fancy 1911 screws to dress it up even more!

P.s. I wonder why your grips are so dark, and mine so light? Yours was the shade I was hoping for, but I ended up with a wood that is a pretty light tan. <sigh>

OK, so I'm pretty psyched that I've got lucky on this deal. I was hoping for everything to get here around the same time so I had already bought the wood grips AND the 1911 screws. I have enough 1911s that if they didn't work out it would be no big deal, but the wood grips after shipping were not exactly cheap. LOL!

So now I wait. I'll post pics of the finished product once it's here and assembled. I'll post if it all goes sideways as well. LOL!!!!

I'm not following Beretta. There's much more metal on the older MK's than the new. They machined away a little strip and added to the grip.
    After looking here earlier I went and found a set of the plastic grips for a new style MK. There is a little extra tab to fit that machined out channel.

On the plastic, if I removed the tab to fit my borrowed older MK there wouldn't be anything for the top grip screw to ride on, just a hole. Not enough material to inlay a piece and make a new mounting hole.

On the wood there might be enough. Many complain that the wood grips are too thick. I've thinned down many of them easily.

I've entertained the idea of installing 1911 bushings on an MK or a K but I think even with the thin bushings I'd have to add too much thickness to the grip.

I'm still pondering this. I'm sure Alfonse is toying with this, be nice to make a grip that would fit both new and old with just a little piece added or taken away. It's not like we're inventing the donut or anything.

What I found is the grips for the GA had to be made thicker than the plastic grips on the GC and later, so there was material on the grip that would allow the top screw to have something to hold back. I can speculate that Kahr wanted the specifications to say the gun is 1 inch thick, rather than 1.1 inch thick. The difference is 0.050" per side.

A thicker grip should be able to fit either, as long as the material is strong enough that when the screws are tightened down it can bridge the extra machined out bit on the later versions without breaking, cracking, etc. I don't have an older GA to confirm that though. Maybe next time Bawanna and I get together we can bring various bits and figure it out.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    Darn, that is a nice looking little pistol.

Git yourself some fancy 1911 screws to dress it up even more!

P.s. I wonder why your grips are so dark, and mine so light? Yours was the shade I was hoping for, but I ended up with a wood that is a pretty light tan. <sigh>
    Those LTD's aren't mine - just got the pictures off a google search.

Like you, my MK wood grips are a bit lighter in color than I'd like.

You already "infected" me with the custom 1911 grip screw bug. This is my MK as it looks right now....