Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CM40 weird hitch when manually pulling slide

Default CM40 weird hitch when manually pulling slide

Hello all,
    New member here and new to Kahrs.
    The CM40 just outside of the break in period, and Im noticing an odd "hitch" as the slide is manually pulled back with an empty magazine in.

It happens about when the slide reaches the point of the barrel fully recoiled and the slide is just separating from the barrel as it goes back and forth too. The odd thing is that it does not happen when the magazine is out.

Could this be a symptom of the ramp impacting the follower and not making it all the way back or something else?

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by pyrobooster View Post
    Hello all,
    New member here and new to Kahrs.
    The CM40 just outside of the break in period, and Im noticing an odd "hitch" as the slide is manually pulled back with an empty magazine in.

It happens about when the slide reaches the point of the barrel fully recoiled and the slide is just separating from the barrel as it goes back and forth too. The odd thing is that it does not happen when the magazine is out.

Could this be a symptom of the ramp impacting the follower and not making it all the way back or something else?

Thanks guys!
    My first thought is that what you describe may be caused by the slide stop.

With an empty magazine in place, the magazine follower is lifting the slide stop lever so that it interfaces with the notches on the slide (stop notch and disassembly notch).

With the slide at the position you mention, I'm guessing what you feel is the disassembly notch riding over the slide stop lever. The stop lever will lift some, though not engage when that happens, but it could account for the little hitch you feel.

As a quick test, with the empty mag installed, hold the stop lever down a bit as you work the slide.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Greg,

Thank you very much I really appreciate the suggestion. I will try that out asap. From the top of my head it seems that is about the point the "hitch" was happening.

This forum and its great members are great help to the Kahr Community.

Thanks again! - pyrobooster

Greg,

I can still feel the "hitch" even when holding the slide release down. Is it possible some thing else is impacting or scraping the the follower? Or could this be the barrel touching the front of the follower and not making it all the way back by a tiny margin and the slide is rubbing that?

Thank you in advance,
    pyrobooster

Quote Originally Posted by pyrobooster View Post
    Greg,

I can still feel the "hitch" even when holding the slide release down. Is it possible some thing else is impacting or scraping the the follower? Or could this be the barrel touching the front of the follower and not making it all the way back by a tiny margin and the slide is rubbing that?

Thank you in advance,
    pyrobooster
    I suppose the center rail of the slide could be dragging on the follower or some part of the slide is catching on the top of the magazine.
    You might check the follower and the slide for any telltale marks.

I also wouldn't discount your question about the ramp bumping the follower.
    You could probably check this by removing the top end and reinstalling just the barrel and slide stop in the frame, then install an empty mag and press the barrel down and rearward while checking for contact.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

First thing that came to mind when I read this was maybe you're getting some barrel peening.

It's not unheard of in Kahrs.

Might want to check your barrel hood, and where it contacts the slide.

Here's a pic I downloaded from google....

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    I suppose the center rail of the slide could be dragging on the follower or some part of the slide is catching on the top of the magazine.
    You might check the follower and the slide for any telltale marks.

I also wouldn't discount your question about the ramp bumping the follower.
    You could probably check this by removing the top end and reinstalling just the barrel and slide stop in the frame, then install an empty mag and press the barrel down and rearward while checking for contact.

Regards,
    Greg
    Greg, thank you very much for your suggestion and idea I will try that right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    First thing that came to mind when I read this was maybe you're getting some barrel peening.

It's not unheard of in Kahrs.

Might want to check your barrel hood, and where it contacts the slide.

Here's a pic I downloaded from google....

Ed M , the slide definitely rubs over the barrel but it does not appear to be "impacting" rather rubbing. What else might I look for in the case of peening ?
    Thank Ed!

Rubbing is normal.

When the edge of the hood on the top or sides starts to raise up from impact, it's not normal.

Just google "Kahr barrel peening images" and you'll see more. There will also be a corresponding damage area on the slide.

More rounds through the gun will reveal the problem - if there is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Rubbing is normal.

When the edge of the hood on the top or sides starts to raise up from impact, it's not normal.

Just google "Kahr barrel peening images" and you'll see more. There will also be a corresponding damage area on the slide.

More rounds through the gun will reveal the problem - if there is one.
    Hey guys, so I looked around and do not have reason to believe peening is an issue at this point.

The "hitch" still remains.

It ran flawlessly last time except it would FTF when taking only the first round off the top of a fully loaded 6 round mag in a 6+1 scenario. If I do 5+1 (in the 6 round mag) runs flawless or 7+1 in the 7 round mag no problems. Seems only in a 6+1 is there a problem.

The waters are getting murky on this but does that tell you anything about the possible cause of the "hitch" ?

Thank you again your knowledge is much appreciated.