Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Revolver you own?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    What are those grips, and is it comfortable to shoot with them? I love my 640-3 but I can't really pick a "best."
    I see Barth has answered this already, but I'd like to add my two cents worth. I've tried many different style grips on my S&W Model 60-9 (you can see some of them here). I actually had Eagle Secret Service grips on it when I found the pattern I settled on.

The grips I like are the boot grip from Altamont. I "discovered" them when I acquired a Taurus 85 that had them on it. Those for the Model 60 are a little different from the set on the Taurus, but close enough for me:

They are comfortable enough for the loads I use in the Model 60, but the 158 grain .357 Magnum loads I have tried are unpleasant to shoot. I just avoid going that stout.

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I have similar grips on my 1963 nickel S&W Mod 36. My grips are way too slick and without "damp" hands, they can be hard to get a proper hold. I'm still wanting the old Tyler "T" grip to put on it.

jd

Edit to add ... I posted a couple minutes too late to tie this post to the post about Bart's black, shiny grips ....
    I do like the Tyler T myself

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    Eagle Secret Service if I remember correctly?
    They are more for looks and concealment than comfort.
    If you're looking for comfort and don't care so much about concealment?
    I recommend Pachmayr's Compac grips.
    That's what's on my 44 Mag.
    Not having an exposed backstrap helps.
    I've tried Pachmayr grips over the years and think they are a good option for certain people and uses. I just never warm up to them myself. The set I came closest to keeping on a revolver were these on my Speed Six:

However, I found some wood that worked well with everything I run through that Six and the rubber has been in the grip drawer since.

Knowing Bawanna likes the birdshead grip, I'd thought I'd close my post with a photo (actually a thumbnail) of a Vaquero I used to own:

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

There's something about a 3" SP101 that just looks right.
    Right!

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    I see Barth has answered this already, but I'd like to add my two cents worth. I've tried many different style grips on my S&W Model 60-9 (you can see some of them here). I actually had Eagle Secret Service grips on it when I found the pattern I settled on.

The grips I like are the boot grip from Altamont. I "discovered" them when I acquired a Taurus 85 that had them on it. Those for the Model 60 are a little different from the set on the Taurus, but close enough for me:

They are comfortable enough for the loads I use in the Model 60, but the 158 grain .357 Magnum loads I have tried are unpleasant to shoot. I just avoid going that stout.

I do like the Tyler T myself

I've tried Pachmayr grips over the years and think they are a good option for certain people and uses. I just never warm up to them myself. The set I came closest to keeping on a revolver were these on my Speed Six:

However, I found some wood that worked well with everything I run through that Six and the rubber has been in the grip drawer since.

Knowing Bawanna likes the birdshead grip, I'd thought I'd close my post with a photo (actually a thumbnail) of a Vaquero I used to own:

Regards,
    Greg
    Beautiful collection you got there.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post

Regards,
    Greg
    That looks ideal! Who made those?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinkhole View Post
    Beautiful collection you got there.
    Why thank you
    That looks ideal! Who made those?
    They are Herrett's Shooting Stars that I trimmed a bit to mimic the Pachmayrs. Please excuse the poor quality of the following photos (some are auction grabs, the other is my bust):

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

S&W 686 4" is a tie with my S&W Model 27 4".
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post
    Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post
    5" Mod. 27
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another oldie, 2" Mod. 10
    Attached Images Attached Images

GTO in the background? I know it's a Pontiac................
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."