Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RSA spring changes

Default RSA spring changes

I wanted to have a spare recoil spring for my CM and PM9 guns. The guns are the latest type slide with the grove in the dust cover. So the question is can a factory RSA be taken apart and the springs changed or should I simply buy a RSA from the factory. I shoot a couple thousand rounds a year out of these guns so the idea is to replace the springs frequently. The factory springs are a bit pricey for this. Thoughts?
    Have a safe New Year.
    Thanks
    Islandcop

for what it's worth, the original RecoilSpringAssembly in my CM9 has over 8000 competition rounds on it and shows no signs of getting tired. have one replacement RSA in the range bag if ever needed.

NRA LIFER
    IDPA BELEIVER

The "new" type slides with the taper at the muzzle end use the Type 3 recoil assemblies listed on Kahr's website.

They've got 15 turn outer recoil springs, and Kahr is the only place to get them that I'm aware of. The PM and CM RSA's are the same - both Type 3.

Midway also sells the Kahr RSA.....

Many just replace the outer spring and don't worry about the inner. Seems like it gets most of the work out but who can tell for sure.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

That'd be nice IF you could buy just the 15 coil outer spring, but Kahr only sells the entire RSA for the CM/PM 9.

I can buy the 13 turn spring only for my older PM9 from Wolff, but they don't sell the 15 turn spring for the new RSA.

Methinks Kahr and Wolff are in cahoots on this....

Great information. The most important idea is to have a spare, So I may just cave and but a new RSA from Kahr. So "Bugs" says he's got 8k through his RSA. Anybody else with a round count so that I can get an idea when to anticipate a change. My experience tells me that the gun will tell me when its time but I know that as the spring weakens it can accelerate frame wear.
    Islandcop

don't know anything about frame wear;I would think that you would start to see FTF/FTE before you'd notice frame wear. when I start seeing some FTF/FTE, I'll replace the RSA. so far I have had none of the above.

NRA LIFER
    IDPA BELEIVER

From my " precise " measurements it seams to me Kahr is using the same type spring with a different number of coils and length for the pm9, pm45, tp45 and possibly others. I say those three pistols because I own them. The wire diameter of the outer and inner springs are .044 and .037 on all three. Outer spring number of coils is 13 for the older pm45, 15 for current pm45 and pm9, 26 for the tp45. The inner spring is the same. The Wolff 20# set is .045 outer and .039 inner.

I change both springs but if one only changes the outer I assume you could purchase tp45 spring and cut it to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    From my " precise " measurements it seams to me Kahr is using the same type spring with a different number of coils and length for the pm9, pm45, tp45 and possibly others. I say those three pistols because I own them. The wire diameter of the outer and inner springs are .044 and .037 on all three. Outer spring number of coils is 13 for the older pm45, 15 for current pm45 and pm9, 26 for the tp45. The inner spring is the same. The Wolff 20# set is .045 outer and .039 inner.

I change both springs but if one only changes the outer I assume you could purchase tp45 spring and cut it to fit.
    Thank you very much for this information!

That'll save some $ for sure...

Just to clarify, the tp45 I mentioned uses one recoil spring. It would be good if someone could mic a P series recoil spring.

Is a 1911 recoil spring the same dimensions as the Kahr outer spring. Wolff sells a multitude of 1911 springs that could be cut to fit.