Being semi-retired, my cars are always garaged, and even at my PT job as a RSO/instructor they are behind a secured fence, I bought a couple of LCP's and one of them has an 7 round mag and Viridian green laser that is activated when drawn from a special holster (magnet). So, I attached female velcro to the holster and its male counterpart to the inside door pocket of each car. When I am in either car the gun can be found secured within hands reach at a moments notice. The holsters are designed for pocket carry so if I wish, they will disappear in a pair of jeans or locked in a small lock box under the front seat.
I do concern myself with theft but neither of my cars are seldom out of eyesight and both have very good alarms so any theft fear is weighed against the comfort knowing a spare firearm is available if needed. In fact the "car gun" is what caused my 70 year old wife and single mom daughter to get their carry permits. It keeps them legal if either of them are in the car alone.
BTW, I can't speak highly enough about the LCP as a small carry gun. I have both the LCP and the LCP II and even the original when equipped with a Hogue grip, shooting a nice group at 30' offhand is a piece of cake after a few boxes of practice ammo.