Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with accuracy with CM9

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Struggling with accuracy with CM9

Hello everyone. This is probably my 5th trip to the range with my CM9. Really loving it, especially the reliability. But I am struggling with accuracy. Shooting at 8 inch targets from 21 feet, 60% of my shots are within 3 inches of center, but the others are sometimes WAY off, like at the bottom of the target or even off the target onto the cardboard.
    Now I have only been shooting handguns for a year, but I just think I should be doing better. Especially when I read about others accuracy claims made on this forum, and watching Hickok45 bang the gong at 80 yards!!

It seems that trigger control is very important, and I feel like when I slowly squeeze the trigger I am more accurate, but I don't know. I am hoping others with more experience will offer some guidance here.

My other gun is a full size CZ and I am much more accurate with it. Thanks for any and all help/advice.

Sounds like you're anticipating recoil.

This video may help.....

Quote Originally Posted by sturg View Post
    Hello everyone. This is probably my 5th trip to the range with my CM9. Really loving it, especially the reliability. But I am struggling with accuracy. Shooting at 8 inch targets from 21 feet, 60% of my shots are within 3 inches of center, but the others are sometimes WAY off, like at the bottom of the target or even off the target onto the cardboard.
    Now I have only been shooting handguns for a year, but I just think I should be doing better. Especially when I read about others accuracy claims made on this forum, and watching Hickok45 bang the gong at 80 yards!!

It seems that trigger control is very important, and I feel like when I slowly squeeze the trigger I am more accurate, but I don't know. I am hoping others with more experience will offer some guidance here.

My other gun is a full size CZ and I am much more accurate with it. Thanks for any and all help/advice.
    I think Ed M nailed it.
    Don't feel too bad. I'm the same way many times and I really have to focus with my CM9. I can shoot it well but it takes real focus and also really moving my trigger finger independability of the rest of my hand. The short sight radius is part of it too.

As for your other gun you have a good one. I got on the CZ band wagon little over a year ago and have aquired 6 of them now. We'll always shoot those much better I think. I recently bought a SP-01 and I have never shot any other pistol as well.

Stick with it and you'll get it down.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    I think Ed M nailed it.
    Don't feel too bad. I'm the same way many times and I really have to focus with my CM9. I can shoot it well but it takes real focus and also really moving my trigger finger independability of the rest of my hand. The short sight radius is part of it too.

As for your other gun you have a good one. I got on the CZ band wagon little over a year ago and have aquired 6 of them now. We'll always shoot those much better I think. I recently bought a SP-01 and I have never shot any other pistol as well.

Stick with it and you'll get it down.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

You really hit the nail on the head in regards to trigger control. Its the long trigger pull that most people aren't expecting, but no reason anyone cant be just as capable with it than another. I think I read somewhere on here the NYPD stopped issuing one of the steel framed Kahrs to their officers as the trigger was "too light". Google it for the article if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Well I'm working toward my aspirations of being like Greg when I grow up.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Visit here:

Practice and even more practice.

front sight, press, front sight, press, repeat as many times as possible! then dry fire at home, focus on FRONT SIGHT while learning to "stage" the trigger ( the point just before the trigger breaks) front sight should NOT DIP when trigger breaks. the smaller the gun the more work required for skills. believe me when I say these skills will come if you do it; if I can do it at 71 yrs. anyone can. part of my live practice is 18 rnds., 9 controled pairs (not double taps) fired freestyle, on a IDPA target @75ft ; thru practice, I consistantly hold the -1, sometimes -0 on the target. but you gotta practice. the CM9 will out shoot the average schmos like me every time. P.S. don't give up on the CM9!

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELEIVER

Thanks to all of you all for the information. I will keep working at it. As I said, I am very new to handguns. Learning more each day.

"Bugs" - will dry firing the gun destroy the trigger?? Should I purchase a snap cap first?
    "yqtszhj" - I have a CZ SP-01 Tactical in 9mm. It was my very first handgun purchase and boy is it wonderful. It's heavy. It's easy to control. It has very little recoil. It is extremely reliable and accurate, too.

Quote Originally Posted by sturg View Post
    "yqtszhj" - I have a CZ SP-01 Tactical in 9mm. It was my very first handgun purchase and boy is it wonderful. It's heavy. It's easy to control. It has very little recoil. It is extremely reliable and accurate, too.
    Thats tactical is the last cz I picked up (I think). You messed up (in a good way) and started with one of the best in my opinion. I tell you, you going to be hard pressed to find one that shoots better, but like you said it's probably one of the heaviest too. But I think most all pistols are fun. You got yourself an addictive hobby now, or at least thats how it worked out for me. I shot a WHOLE LOT of 9mm last year.

Visit here: