Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with accuracy with CM9

Quote Originally Posted by sturg View Post
    "yqtszhj" - I have a CZ SP-01 Tactical in 9mm. It was my very first handgun purchase and boy is it wonderful. It's heavy. It's easy to control. It has very little recoil. It is extremely reliable and accurate, too.
    Thats tactical is the last cz I picked up (I think). You messed up (in a good way) and started with one of the best in my opinion. I tell you, you going to be hard pressed to find one that shoots better, but like you said it's probably one of the heaviest too. But I think most all pistols are fun. You got yourself an addictive hobby now, or at least thats how it worked out for me. I shot a WHOLE LOT of 9mm last year.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Well I'm working toward my aspirations of being like Greg when I grow up.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Everybody has nailed the trigger pull part. I'll add that your FINGER placement on the trigger makes a fairly large difference especially a long double action pull like the Kahr. I practice a smooth pull letting the break surprise me(but that's what works for me.).

I saw a good picture the other day somewhere and found it on the web that'll explain what I'm talking about.

IMHO dry firing will not damage the trigger or striker of a center fire pistol (not sure about a firing PIN though) ; a lot of people use snap caps, I do not, and haven't had any problems over the years. I'm too anal that I don't want anything that remotely looks like a round, no matter what color it is, around when I'm dry firing, but that's just me. also I do not drop the slide on a empty chamber, drawing the slide back just far enough to reset the trigger. as a bonus drill to further enhance your skills, as you're progressing with your freestyle dry fire, try some reps strong hand only then switch to some reps weak hand only; don't forget to try some while releasing trigger to reset point. sadistic SOB ain't I.

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELEIVER

This laser cartridge + your CM9 + CNN on the TV can make for some very interesting practice shooting. This target is lots of fun too.

Grip the fool out of that little bugger. Try to strangle it with both hands. Thats what works for me.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

I had my first shooting lesson today and throughout the day the importance of trigger control was brought up, stressed and worked on multiple times. In fact many of the things mentioned in this thread were brought up. I was shooting his guns, so all the triggers were fantastic! And exactly the same! So easy and no extraneous creep or excess movement. Much different than my guns. Although he recommended I get some work done on my CZ trigger, he said to leave the Kahr trigger alone. He commented on how smooth it was.

It's amazingly coincidental that the OP posted this as I have a very similar problem. I have recently been able to shoot my CM9 again (long story) and I have found my accuracy to stink. I have been dry-firing consistently for over a year so when I went to the range I could not figure out what I was doing wrong. I may have to record my shooting to watch how I am gripping the gun, pulling the trigger and if I have a flinch. Whatever the case may be it was a disappointing range session. Still better than any day at work, though

I'm also struggling with my CM9's accuracy. I am an experienced handgunner and have no trouble squeezing the potential accuracy out of my other handguns. What is a reasonable expectation of accuracy from a CM9 shot from a sandbag rest at distances like 7 or 15 yards? Do these pistols tend to be ammo sensitive? I have noticed my CM9 prefers Federal American Eagle to Remington when it comes to inexpensive 115gr. FMJ loads. I have not yet tried any 124gr. loads.

Tight groups,
    Bob

124 gr. loads may help, but......................I see that once again, it hasn't been mentioned that this is not a target pistol. This is a save your behind pistol. So much emphasis on bulls eyes, that your missing the big picture. I think you're dreaming if you expect to shoot a small firearm as good as a larger, heavier, longer firearm. I guarantee you that everyone would love to shoot like hickcock45, but unfortunately, most of us don't get our ammo for free, and most of us don't shoot a thousand rounds a day. Someone here said it best. " Aim for the waist and the gun will rise up." Forget about 3" groups with a small firearm. Realistically, from 10' yes, from 10 yds. and beyond, forget it unless you shoot thousands of rounds. Finger placement IS very important with these smaller firearms. Stacking isn't impossible, but with the trigger design, difficult at best.