Xssights   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: CW380 Slide Stop Modification

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default CW380 Slide Stop Modification

I have owned a CW9 and CW380 for many years now and I am fairly familiar with both pistols, somewhat thanks to forums like this... I have always been able to find answers to my questions with some internet research.

My CW380 has performed fairly well, but I don't shoot it that often... it has cycled all of the practice and defense ammo that I have put through it, except Geco due to the case rim not fitting under the extractor, but I am not changing or modifying the extractor due to one brand of ammo that I will never buy again. I believe it is the same problem with Fiocchi ammo, but I have never tried that brand.

Eventually the tab that keeps the slide-stop in the gun cracked off and Kahr sent me a new slide-stop. It appeared to me that since the replacement part was undressed, I may have issues with bullets in the magazine interfering with the slide stop. Sure enough, the clearance was too close for comfort with most bullet profiles (I have many for testing) and made a TON of contact with Federal HST bullets.

So I started grinding on the stop in order to improve bullet clearance. Everything should clear now, but I have not been able to confirm with live-fire... except there is still a lot of contact with the Federal HST rounds. I would like my pistol to be compatible with all of the common defensive ammo on the market...

If I continue to remove material from the slide-stop, it is almost guaranteed that an empty magazine will not lock the slide back as intended... but I am not sure if I care? It is probably more important for me that there is plenty of clearance with all bullet types than the slide locking when empty, since I don't ever carry a second magazine anyway. If I feel like I may need more bullets, I will bring a higher capacity firearm.

I do like the Kahr's ability to lock the slide, but I only do this manually for safety reasons or to directly load the chamber (I have a loading method that I am cofortable with, which is in my opinion safe and will not damage the extractor).

Has anyone else out there ever removed so much material (intentionally or otherwise) from the slide-stop that it no longer locked when empty? Is there any reason that this will cause any issues (other than lock-back)?
    Last edited by holygeez03; 01-14-2018 at 10:56 AM.