Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Mark I conversion question

Default Mark I conversion question

I recently purchased a Mark I in .357. Does any one know if can still get a 44 mag conversion it? Will the Mark XIX caliber conversion kits work on the Mark I? Thanks

I am curious about this also. My understanding is that the frames were functionally the same, although there are design differences. It is also my understanding that as long as the Slide, Barrel, and Springs are kept together as a set they will work. Maybe someone who owns all three models will post and clarify this from personal experience, rather than my speculation based only on reading.
    I remember reading some caveat to putting a .50 on a Mk I frame... if that is the case, then it would seem that none of the Mk XIX stuff would work as all the barrels are made from the same blank. Because of this, I am doubting the Mk VII sets would work because I can take my .50 AE Frame and slide it right into the .41 Magnum Mk VII stuff and vice-versa. Again, this is only speculation. I know the recoil springs frame and how they are operated by the slide is different (no tab to insert into the slide) and the gas piston pins in rather than being locked in by the spring frame tab.

I would like to know the answer to this also...

Good Luck...

MrBlackCat

Update. I sent a message to magnum research and asked this very question. So far they have not responded and I don’t 5hink they will. So, this question will most likely remain unanswered unless someone with knowledge on the subject ways in. I’m not willing to risk 600+ and hope it works

I can shed some light on this as I own a Mark I, Mark 7, and did a conversion to 50AE using Mark 19 top end components. You are right--The Mark I frame is the same as the Mark 7----The only difference is the safety levers shape and the Mark 7 has the newer adjustable trigger module. The Mark I Slide, 357 barrel, recoil spring assembly, Mark 1 357 bolt can only work as a set (Think of Mark 1 as Gen 1, Mark 7 as Gen 2, Mark 19 as Gen 3). All components I am referring to here are the IMI Israeli made components. Mark 1 recoil spring assembly does not hold in the gas piston. Only the larger outer springs are used on the Mark 1 recoil spring assembly (You don't use the smaller inner springs).

The Mark 7 slides are a little bigger physically and were marked .41\.44 or just .44 (I have 2 Mark 7 slides marked like this). There was a conversion kit for the Mark 7 to go from 41 or 44 to 50AE---That kit was expensive because it came with a new slide, barrel and magazine. This was like the transition into the Mark 19 series. The 357 bolt from the Mark 1 will NOT fit the Mark 7 slide. The Mark 7 bolt for 41 has a smaller face diameter (For the 41) but the body diameter is the same as the bolt for the Mark 7 44 bolt. The Mark 7 44 bolt is the same for the 50AE use.

The Mark 19 slide, barrel, for the 50AE is physically larger than the Mark 7 components. The slide is visually bigger and the barrel diameter at the rear is larger. I just converted my Mark 7 to the new Mark 19 50AE by buying a new Mark 19 50AE slide, barrel, and magazine. The components installed onto Mark 7 frame with no trouble (And they also fit on my Mark 1 frame---I tested this). Note that this is now USA made components marked Pillager MN on the slide. The first test is to see if you can install the barrel on your older frame and if the barrel lock can open and close easily. Then take that off and test fit the slide on the frame (make sure it does not bind --test this with no recoil spring assembly). If that is good then assemble everything and make sure the slide with the 50AE bolt can open and close smoothly and that the slide\bolt can close into battery and lock up. I did notice that the new USA barrel\slide was much tighter with much less play than my IMI Israel parts. It appears that the USA parts are held to much tighter tolerances.

The acid test now is to function fire the 50AE setup---I have not fire tested it yet due to not having any 50AE ammo. I will post as soon as I am able to test this setup. I hope this sheds some light on the various Generations out there especially if you are mixing and matching components.