Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop

Thread: T9 Target Model Shoots 4" High

Default T9 Target Model Shoots 4" High

Long time lurker here and I want to start this of by thanking all the members for putting together such a tremendous resource for this firearm platform. I've learned a LOT over the past few years just by reading. Reading a post on this forum regarding grips for smaller hands made me purchase my first K9 for my wife. I now own 3 K9's, MK-9, PM-9 and recently completed a 7 year search for a T9 I could afford.

Took the T9 to the range yesterday and put some rounds on paper. At 7 yds, I was able to put 16 rounds through a 1" square, but that 1" square was over 3" high of my aiming point. This is an older T9 (factory said it was manufactured in Oct. 2003) with the older style dovetails. The box says it is a KT9093A-MMC and it does indeed have the MMC sights on it.

So my question is: are these sights adjustable for height, and if not, does anyone have a source for replacement sights for these older style dovetails?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinplicity View Post
    Long time lurker here and I want to start this of by thanking all the members for putting together such a tremendous resource for this firearm platform. I've learned a LOT over the past few years just by reading. Reading a post on this forum regarding grips for smaller hands made me purchase my first K9 for my wife. I now own 3 K9's, MK-9, PM-9 and recently completed a 7 year search for a T9 I could afford.

Took the T9 to the range yesterday and put some rounds on paper. At 7 yds, I was able to put 16 rounds through a 1" square, but that 1" square was over 3" high of my aiming point. This is an older T9 (factory said it was manufactured in Oct. 2003) with the older style dovetails. The box says it is a KT9093A-MMC and it does indeed have the MMC sights on it.

So my question is: are these sights adjustable for height, and if not, does anyone have a source for replacement sights for these older style dovetails?

Thanks!
    The MMC sight I have on my K9 is adjustable for elevation via a screw on the ejection port side of it. Windage corrections can be done by loosening the two small screws at the rear of the sight, then repositioning the whole sight.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Awesome! I’ll give that a shot. Thank you!!

Greg, do you know where these sights are available? I would like to put some adjustable sights on both my T and K 9's.
    Brent

Quote Originally Posted by laserfish View Post
    Greg, do you know where these sights are available? I would like to put some adjustable sights on both my T and K 9's.
    Brent
    Brent,
    MMC has been out of business for a while and I don't know of any remaining stock being held by anyone. Keeping an eye on the various auction sights may be your best chance of finding any.

Meprolight makes an adjustable sight for Kahr pistols. I've no experience with it, so my contribution will be limited to providing a link to them:
    http://www.meprolight.com/?catid={0B7B71C6-C5C1-4011-93AE-A79C7B82AF8B}&itemid={0A8C65E5-5DC9-458F-874F-25BA0447ABC3}

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thanks again, Greg for the help here.

For anyone who stumbles on this in the future: MMC made this sight set up available for the Sig P226 platform and called them Combat Sights. They had horizontal lines on the rear sight vs. the dots found on the Kahr version. I found instructions for the sights (which should be good for both styles) on the following page from Mil Spec Monkey: https://milspecmonkey.com/index.php/weapons-page/optics/126-mmc-adjustable-combat-pistol-sights-for-sig-p226

- AZ

I have two sets of the adjustable Meprolight sights that Greg referenced above. These are not made for old style dovetails, unfortunately. The set for a Glock worked perfectly. The rear sight for a new dovetail K9 was too small to fit the dovetail properly and had attachment screws too short to contact the slide. To install the sight, it was necessary to glue it in, which worked OK, but will likely be difficult to remove, if ever needed. Also, the bottom of the slot between the sides of the rear sight is too high, so it partially blocks the tritium dot of the front sight. The US importer of the sights did not respond to my emails on the subject.

You did not mention the type of ammo you used or your sight picture. If sight adjustment is not sufficient the fix this issue, and you are not already doing so, try a sight picture with the sights aligned at the tops and the point of impact hopefully being at the top center of the front sight. This should lower the POI, if you had the practice of putting the vertical midpoint of the front sight as the intended POI.

If this does not work, you can consider installing a taller front sight or a shorter rear. By my absolutely, positively not guaranteed and often wrong math, a 3" POI drop at 7 yards will require a change of 0.06" - 0.07" in sight height. A good place to start searching for sight replacement is Dawson Precision (dawsonprecision.com), which has a decent selection, understands the needs of competition shooting and is willing to consider special orders of different heights. You might phone them to discuss these issues and see what they suggest. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
    Last edited by finpro; 01-16-2018 at 01:33 PM.