Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dilemma with grand daughter

Default Dilemma with grand daughter

A while back we picked up a P9 for my grand daughter and she finally got to shoot it yesterday. We also gave her a choice to try other pistols.
    In the running were a Ruger LCS9, a Glock 43, a S&W shield, and the P9, all 9mms.
    My opinion of a Glock is not for a C.C. for a novice. Almost a S.A. trigger pull.
    The S&W trigger pull was to short. I believe it could go off accidentally when the adrenaline rises.
    The Ruger had a really nice trigger pull. Longer then the other two and lighter but not as long as the P9. And maybe too light
    The Pm 9 pull was just right.

On controllabilty the LCS9 had the most muzzle flip when shooting double taps. The grips were too thin and the only tight contact to her hand was the heel of the grip into her palm.

The others were o.k.

I had her aim at a target 7 yds. away then close her eyes. Fire one shot and then still with her eyes closed realign the gun to where she thought it should be and then fire a second round. Of all the Ruger had the worse spacing between hits. I had her do eyes open double taps also.

She had the best control with the P9. Yah ! I was right.

Now my dilemma. I made the mistake of letting her shoot my K9 elite. She fell in love with it, especially the Elite trigger. And the thicker grips and F.O. front sight. She wants it, but that's not gonna happen.

So I guess I need to install an Elite trigger in her P9 along with other things. IIRC someone wrote about how to remove the cross pin that holds the trigger pivot pin in place. Can someone direct me there.

Whats around to create thicker grips on P pistols ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

To remove the pin on the P9 just take a punch and knock it out. It's held in place with cross pin that rides in s groove on the trigger pin edge if I recall from mine. Not sure what you could add tk the P9 to make it better though.

I have a Hogue handall Jr. on my CM9 that has a palm swell and I like it a lot. Feels good. May work on the P9 too.

You shoulda never carried the K9.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

On my .380's I, like a lot of members here use sections of bicycle tube to bulk out the grips a bit. I noticed a while back someone mentioned putting some material under the bicycle tube to pad that a bit to fit the palm better. I'm not suggesting that you use this as a solution but rather as a cheap way to experiment to find a profile she likes.

Quote Originally Posted by skiflydive View Post
    On my .380's I, like a lot of members here use sections of bicycle tube to bulk out the grips a bit. I noticed a while back someone mentioned putting some material under the bicycle tube to pad that a bit to fit the palm better. I'm not suggesting that you use this as a solution but rather as a cheap way to experiment to find a profile she likes.
    That's what I did, I had a 1" square of self-stick "soft side" (loop side) of Velcro, that I rounded the sharp corners on, and then put that in under the rubber grip (mine is a Pachmayr, but Hogue makes them too). I positioned it where it would fit my palm the best; this worked out really well to give me a slight palm swell and improves the grip for me.

You can see the "bump" under the grip in this image:

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    To remove the pin on the P9 just take a punch and knock it out. It's held in place with cross pin that rides in s groove on the trigger pin edge if I recall from mine. Not sure what you could add tk the P9 to make it better though.

I have a Hogue handall Jr. on my CM9 that has a palm swell and I like it a lot. Feels good. May work on the P9 too.

You shoulda never carried the K9.
    Hi yqtszhj.
    I'm not sure what you mean about removing the cross pin that holds the trigger pivot pin in place. If possible I'm thinking about installing Elite trigger components as someone else here did. But he did it into a steel frame Kahr with no cross pin.

I shoulda never let the grandaughter do a comparison

I'm haveing thoughts about installing K9 grip panels onto the sides of the P9. Like something that is being done with Ruger 22/45 polymer framed .22 pistols. I believe they're installing 1911 grip panels by drilling and tapping grip screw threads into the frames.

There seems to be enough wall thickness for threads for the gip screws.

Bawanna are you watching this ? And the other person that's making after market parts for Kahrs. I apologize for not knowing your name

I'd have to remove the back straps off the grips and reshape that area. I've got an old set of E9 polymer grips that I may to work with.

Anyone else out there willing to experiment ?

It's for your granddaughter for crying out loud. Buy her a K9 elite you ole tightwad!!!
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

Quote Originally Posted by oldlincoln View Post
    it's for your granddaughter for crying out loud. Buy her a k9 elite you ole tightwad!!!
    lol
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Visit here:

Quote Originally Posted by jg rider View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean about removing the cross pin that holds the trigger pivot pin in place. If possible I'm thinking about installing Elite trigger components as someone else here did. But he did it into a steel frame Kahr with no cross pin.
    You don't have to remove the cross pin. Just the trigger pin. It will, come out with a good WHACK. The cross pin just keeps it from drifting when being fired.

That K9 grip panel Idea is interesting.

Visit here:

Pachmayr grip sleeves..............................or Limbsaver....................I use both.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    It's for your granddaughter for crying out loud. Buy her a K9 elite you ole tightwad!!!
    Old Lincoln don't speak a whole lot lately but when he speaks, he's very wise indeed.

I've often thought if I could come up with a way to install nice wood grips on a Glock I'd be richer than Davy Crockett.
    This is basically the same situation. Be nice to somehow install grip bushings like a 1911. Somehow permanently attach them to the polymer.

Be risky business for sure. I'll ponder some but I've pondered some already and don't have the solution.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."