Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P45 or cw45?

Default P45 or cw45?

Looking to purchase a Kahr P45 or a Kahr CW45. I know all the listed differences, but I would like to hear from owners their experience with the quality, reliability, durability, and any function or accuracy differences they have experienced. Thanks.

No complaints - Mine works just fine, but I haven't shot it all that much:

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I only have a PM45 but I do know that the CW45 is one of Greg's favorite guns and his works very well or perhaps I should say he works it very well.

We don't seem to hear as much about the P45, I know not why. It should of course be every bit as good.

If the planets align, I plan to grab me a CW45 one of these days.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I consider Kahr 45's the best poly single stack pistols made in 45. One of my PM45's has more than 10,000 rounds through it and is my edc. Get the P45 if you can find a good deal.

I have a CW45 and am perfectly happy with it. I cannot tell any quality difference from my PM9 or P40. Like Armybrat I modified some 1911 magazines to fit flush with the bottom of the grip. There's a whole thread on that.

I hope that helps.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    ... Get the P45 if you can find a good deal.
    ^^^ agreed. But around here a good deal on a used P-series gun is still around $400. You can get a brand new CW for less than that...
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    ^^^ agreed. But around here a good deal on a used P-series gun is still around $400. You can get a brand new CW for less than that...
    I've seen them new for sub $300. I don't see too many P45s around here. I've never owned or even shot a P45 so I can't give you a comparison opinion, but I can tell you that I really like my CW. It feels really good in my hand and it shoots great. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way.

I got my black diamond p45 at Bud's for $440 new with free shipping. I HAVE ZERO clue why it was such a sweet price because they are around 560+ now. But, if you can find one in the 4-550 range I say go for it. I like the all black gun and being able to change my sights easily. The thing doesn't remotely recoil like I thought it would.

Id like to hear too.

Quote Originally Posted by oldjarhead View Post
    Looking to purchase a Kahr P45 or a Kahr CW45. I know all the listed differences, but I would like to hear from owners their experience with the quality, reliability, durability, and any function or accuracy differences they have experienced. Thanks.
    While I don't have a P45, I do have a CW45 and two "P" series Kahrs in other calibers.
    I can see no differences in the quality of the lowers. I'd say Kahr uses the same lower between the "C" and "P" series in caliber.
    Other than how the are machined and marked on the outside, I don't see any differences that would set the P and C slides apart.

My CW45 had some issues when I first bought, but has been reliable since. My P series guns were bought used both needed some work (one was a range rental and the other was a pawn shop find), but work fine know. I have a CW9, MK9, and K9 that have been reliable since I purchased them (all were used).

Accuracy wise in .45ACP, I doubt the P45 shoots any better than my CW45 or perhaps that is better worded to say I doubt I have the skill to tell the difference.
    Here's 7 rounds of 230gr. Gold Dots at 10 yds., offhand.

Durability: I've had my CW45 close to eight years. I've no good guess as to how many rounds have been put through it; let's just say many, many. I've not had any mechanical failures, but did need a modified magazine latch early on and the frame was replaced because of the short rail issue. The short rail thing is definitely a concern if buying a used CW45. I can't remember if anyone had the issue with a P45. READ ABOUT THE ISSUE HERE: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...968#post306968

As to the differences in the sights. There may be more options available for the "P" series (XS sights come to mind), but I've found those available for the CW45 more than adequate. I've had Trijicon sights on my CW45 about as long as I've owned it and they preform admirably. The front sight dovetail on the P45 would make removing the sight in a reusable condition possible. The OEM front sight on the CW45 is plastic and held on by two posts, removing the sight involves snapping of those posts. Having a front dovetail machined into the CW45 is a doable option.

If I might suggest a couple of threads for you to peruse:
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...sues-and-fixes

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...gazine-UPDATED

As Bawanna stated, the CW45 is one of my favorites. I'm a big fan of it. I imagine that would also apply to the P45 if I owned one

Semper Fi,
    Greg
    Last edited by gb6491; 06-10-2018 at 12:54 PM.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>