Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop

Thread: Need some help and new to Thompson.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'll try to look at mine this weekend. I haven't had it apart enough to remember some of this.
    It does appear your missing the hold open and I'm not sure if that was normal for that vintage or not. Sure seems like it should be there.

I'd also order a set of those springs so they are both equal. There's plenty of room in there I doubt anything would bind but if it was mine I'd want matching springs.

I'll have to look at that worn piece in the picture on mine, not sure how it's put in there. I don't recall any wear like that on mine. I had it apart a few weeks back when I went through and checked and cleaned everything in the man cave.
    Please do check and please let me know. But with the hold open lever it was brought to my attention that in 1975 they didnt have one on the front of the receiver, but how the hold open worked on mine is pull the charging handle back to load the gun but before letting go forward pull up on the hand (like you were going to take that handle out of the receiver) and let it go forward slowly there is a smaller hole to catch it and hold it open. This would explain the almost figure 8 with the top hole being smaller on the top of the receiver. I am going to try it when I get home tomorrow. So I will let everyone know then.

Yes I am going to replace the recoil spring for 2 to 4 each why not.

Yes please do check the ware on the lower receiver in the trigger area and let me know if you have the same kind of ware. You might not have as bad ware on your cause you might not have a lot of round though her. Mine is used so I dont know how many round went down the pipe.

Please let me know what you see cause I plan on going to the store I got it from and push for them to replace those parts.

Well the hold open on mine is to pull the charging handle all the way back like your getting ready to load a round in her, once the handle is back I have to pull up on the handle and that holds it open... Im glad I found this out before I went back and got angry at the place that sold it to me and claim they sold me a unsafe rifle. And another good thing to know the previous owner didnt mess with it and take part out of her...

Now just to find out exactly what that part is called that is worn out and circled in black so I can order the right part.