CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some help and new to Thompson.

And now for what she looks like.

I'll try to look at mine this weekend. I haven't had it apart enough to remember some of this.
    It does appear your missing the hold open and I'm not sure if that was normal for that vintage or not. Sure seems like it should be there.

I'd also order a set of those springs so they are both equal. There's plenty of room in there I doubt anything would bind but if it was mine I'd want matching springs.

I'll have to look at that worn piece in the picture on mine, not sure how it's put in there. I don't recall any wear like that on mine. I had it apart a few weeks back when I went through and checked and cleaned everything in the man cave.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'll try to look at mine this weekend. I haven't had it apart enough to remember some of this.
    It does appear your missing the hold open and I'm not sure if that was normal for that vintage or not. Sure seems like it should be there.

I'd also order a set of those springs so they are both equal. There's plenty of room in there I doubt anything would bind but if it was mine I'd want matching springs.

I'll have to look at that worn piece in the picture on mine, not sure how it's put in there. I don't recall any wear like that on mine. I had it apart a few weeks back when I went through and checked and cleaned everything in the man cave.
    Please do check and please let me know. But with the hold open lever it was brought to my attention that in 1975 they didnt have one on the front of the receiver, but how the hold open worked on mine is pull the charging handle back to load the gun but before letting go forward pull up on the hand (like you were going to take that handle out of the receiver) and let it go forward slowly there is a smaller hole to catch it and hold it open. This would explain the almost figure 8 with the top hole being smaller on the top of the receiver. I am going to try it when I get home tomorrow. So I will let everyone know then.

Yes I am going to replace the recoil spring for 2 to 4 each why not.

Yes please do check the ware on the lower receiver in the trigger area and let me know if you have the same kind of ware. You might not have as bad ware on your cause you might not have a lot of round though her. Mine is used so I dont know how many round went down the pipe.

Please let me know what you see cause I plan on going to the store I got it from and push for them to replace those parts.

Well the hold open on mine is to pull the charging handle all the way back like your getting ready to load a round in her, once the handle is back I have to pull up on the handle and that holds it open... Im glad I found this out before I went back and got angry at the place that sold it to me and claim they sold me a unsafe rifle. And another good thing to know the previous owner didnt mess with it and take part out of her...

Now just to find out exactly what that part is called that is worn out and circled in black so I can order the right part.

OK, here's a downloaded copy of the owners manual which actually has the best schematic I could find. Gunparts Inc has a schematic but it's harder to see and make sense of.
    https://www.auto-ordnance.com/PDF/lg_manual.pdf

I'm thinking the worn part is the sear block. It's easy to remove just by removing the pivot plate part # 35. It looks like that would also release a bunch of other stuff so have your wits about you as to how everything correlates.
    You picture looks different than mine. I like the idea of your bolt handle being the hold open, no need for a third hand when using drums.

Here's photo's of mine, took me a bit to figure how to get it apart even though I just did so less than a month ago. Easy once you figure it out but also easy to forget apparently , at least for me.

Here's a picture of the pivot plate # 35. Just push down on the rear arm and pop it over the pin, then the whole deal will pull out.
    The safety on the rear, the pin through your worn part and a 3rd pin up front, trigger pivot? Already forgot.

Yours is definitely different than mine, your worn part is kind of L shaped where mine is square. Also not a bit of wear on mine. I don't think it's been shot a lot but hundreds or rounds at least.

I'm gonna go see if I can get this thing back together now. Heavy buggers ain't they?
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    OK, here's a downloaded copy of the owners manual which actually has the best schematic I could find. Gunparts Inc has a schematic but it's harder to see and make sense of.
    https://www.auto-ordnance.com/PDF/lg_manual.pdf

I'm thinking the worn part is the sear block. It's easy to remove just by removing the pivot plate part # 35. It looks like that would also release a bunch of other stuff so have your wits about you as to how everything correlates.
    You picture looks different than mine. I like the idea of your bolt handle being the hold open, no need for a third hand when using drums.

Here's photo's of mine, took me a bit to figure how to get it apart even though I just did so less than a month ago. Easy once you figure it out but also easy to forget apparently , at least for me.

Here's a picture of the pivot plate # 35. Just push down on the rear arm and pop it over the pin, then the whole deal will pull out.
    The safety on the rear, the pin through your worn part and a 3rd pin up front, trigger pivot? Already forgot.

Yours is definitely different than mine, your worn part is kind of L shaped where mine is square. Also not a bit of wear on mine. I don't think it's been shot a lot but hundreds or rounds at least.

I'm gonna go see if I can get this thing back together now. Heavy buggers ain't they?
    Yes mine looks like its 2 pieces yours looks like only one piece the sear block.
    Yes heavy lol.
    Now that I know how to work the hold open I think I like mine better too. Wont need any tools to hold it open in between mag changes.
    With mine Im going to guess the ware is probably from pulling the handle back and having the safety on. A lot of things Im reading and finding out is not to have the rifle in safe lock and charge it or even take it apart with the safety on they say you can really screw the gun up so from looking at mine thats what they did...
    Thanks for checking your and taking it apart. I have a few different firearms myself and any thime I go to clean them I always have the strip video up and ready on the computer just waiting to hit play cause I forget how to break them all down myself.... LOL

Mine won't allow me to pull the charging handle with the safety on. It did say to disassemble with the safety on.

I try to go through all my toys and check them over once a year, often times it more like every 2 or 3 years. This year I tried to be thorough and take them down far as I'm willing to go. Sometimes it just takes a little reminder to remember the trick to make it all happen.

With mine the only time you need the tool for hold open is on drums, with sticks it's not issue you can pull them and put a new one in with the bolt closed. With a drum empty or full you have to have the bolt back or you can't remove the drum.

I keep mine on a stand I made with the drum in place. I just leave the bolt back. I'm always looking for the 3rd hand even though I always leave it in the same place so I don't lose it. Just sometimes I forget the place.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Well Ill give Kahr CS a shot and send them the picture and ask them...

Well I finally found out what the part is that im looking for it a very early 2 piece sear bolt. Now I would like to replace it.

If Kahr doesn't have one, try Numrich, Gun Parts Inc.

Or the Tommy Gun Store. Has to be some out there.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan