I recently found a P40 Covert in a local pawn shop. They were asking a touch over two bills for it and though I saw it had at least one issue, I paid the ransom.

My first range visit with it, I found it shot a couple of inches low at 10 yds. (with both 160 and 180 grain loads).

Using the Sight Correction Calculator at Brownells it was was easy to figure out how much one of the sights would need correction.
Now you could go to Dawson and buy either a lower front sight or a higher rear, but I prefer not to put a lot of funds into a bargain gun (if I can help it).
So I decided to try the DIY route. I don't weld well enough to make adding height to the rear sight a desirable option. So the front sight will be shortened.
A potential issue with this was that removing enough material would probably cut into the sight's white dot. I proceeded to go ahead with the shortening process and would deal with dot if it became a problem.

I used the same bar stock brass punch that I have previously used on Kahr rear sights and to my delight, the sight came off with little effort and no damage.
Heres that punch being used on a rear sight:

To reduce the sight's height, I used used a Dremel tool, followed by diamond files. While doing this, I filed the front of the sight to remove a slight nick and found the more I filed on it the smaller in diameter the white dot became....seems the hole is cone shaped and that's welcome news.
Here's the sight filed to height:

Next, I'll enlarge the dot hole, blast and parkerize the sight. Here it is straight from the parkerizing solution:

Cleaned and painted, it's going back on the slide:

I'm tried orange paint (well it's a red that converts to orange when you apply super glue to it) to see how I like it:

Back from some shooting, the gun is spot on now, but I've decided to go with a white dot and no paint on the rear:

If anyone is interested, I'll follow up with some info on the P40 Covert.

Regards,
Greg