CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CT .380 Jams Every Other Shot - Please Help Me Out Here

Default CT .380 Jams Every Other Shot - Please Help Me Out Here

Hi folks!

I am new to the forum and new to Kahr firearms, but not new to guns in general. I just purchased a Karh CT.380 for a small sized carry pistol. I felt my Ruger LCP was too small and my CZ-P09 was too big, so I found this. Only one problem-never had such an unreliable firearm.

I've done some research and can't figure out what is going on. My dad says I need a softer spring, but I think that part of the point of the CT380 is that the heavy spring results in less recoil than the Ruger LCP for example.

The gun jams every other shot. The first round in the magazine always fails to eject, so I lock the slide back and pull the shell out by hand, then use the slide-release lever the close the action. The next shot fires and the following shot loads flawlessly, then after firing that shot the slide locks 3/4 of the way back and fails to eject the shell. The extractor doesn't even grab it so I have to lock the slide, drop the mag, and remove it by hand.

Every once in a while (maybe every ten rounds or so) the round fails to load into the chamber all the way and the slide is about 1/8 inch stuck back or the round just gets stuck when coming out of the mag. I love the size and shape of the car... And already ordered a nice holster for it, but am really discouraged by the unreliable performance. Anyone know what I can do to fix this? Do I need to send it in for warranty.

I've been alternating between 90 grain and 100 grain rounds. I ordered some 115 grain rounds to see if it helps. I've also run between 150 and 200 rounds through it already and I've had no improvement in performance.

Also, if I load a round into it and just try to eject it and load it and eject it and load it, the extractor will only grab it 1/4 of the time with or without the magazine in place.

I just want this thing to be reliable!! It's such a great gun and when it does shoot, it feels really nice and it's super accurate.
    Last edited by Kyler; 06-17-2023 at 07:50 AM.

Others should be around shortly but 3 questions to start.
    To chamber a round, do you always use the slide release?
    Do you always keep a straight wrist when firing, or do you sometimes cock your wrist inadvertently? (sometimes called limp wrist but I think cocked wrist is a more accurate description.
    What ammo is being used?

I alternate between using the slide lock and pulling it back and doing it manually and I have noticed no difference in feed or reliability,

I have read that with these you need a straight-wrist and a tight grip as to not let your wrist absorb the motion so the slide takes it all and is able to go all the way back. I have tried several different levels of grip, always careful not to let my wrist move or roll. Again, no noticeable difference in feed or ability to eject.

Lastly, I used some 90-grain Fiocchi rounds and the 100-grain rounds are Sig Sauer Elite Performance rounds.

Welcome to the forum Kyler.

I'm no tech guy, but did you follow the much advised prep for all poly Kahrs in this sticky thread?

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...-of-a-new-kahr

One or more of the experts here should be along in a day or two to provide good advice & will be of more help.
    The only problem I had with my CT380 was the difficulty in racking that stiff spring slide.
    Hope someone else will help you get yours sorted out. They are indeed very nice little guns.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

If my ageing memory serves me correctly, Fiocchi shells have a thicker rim and are not a good fit under the extractor. There are notes on how to fix the problem.
    Wait for some more input for those smarter than I.
    Be sure to read the sticky on how to clean and lube the Kahr They best run wet,but I do not think that is the problem.

Fiocchi has been problematic for a lot of people here. It might have something to do with extractor tension. There has also been some with tight chambers. You might want to read thru this thread. There might be something in there to point you in the right direction. Being a new gun under warranty, there is always the option of sending it back to Kahr for repairs.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...80-first-shots

I'm wondering if there is a extractor problem. If you feel confident enough you can try to take the slide apart and really check out the extractor, extractor spring, associated extractor parts, and the channel the spring rides in. You may find a burr or something that needs smoothing out or some dirt hanging things up.

Just a thought and dont give up.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I'm wondering if there is a extractor problem. If you feel confident enough you can try to take the slide apart and really check out the extractor, extractor spring, associated extractor parts, and the channel the spring rides in. You may find a burr or something that needs smoothing out or some dirt hanging things up.
    Someone talks about a problem with a CT380 very similar to that in post #8 of that thread.

One of my CT380's only likes full power self defense ammo the other one will feed anything. Try leaving the slide locked back empty for a week or three to compress the springs. It seems to help.

I know it's never the most popular suggestion, but since it's new, and they made a profit off of you, send it in and let them fix it. It could be many different things, and if your not a gunsmith, why should you waste your time trying to fix something that should work properly. "Call the man aunt bee, just call the man." Remember the freezer episode?????????????????