Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Rear of slide fit to frame new P9

Default Rear of slide fit to frame new P9

Just picked up a new P9. Noticed that the slide it the rear where it meets the frame appears to be too far foward. Meaning the back of the frame above the grip sticks out and is not flush with the rear of the slide. I called Kahr and they said this is normal. I don't agree. I have 3 Kahrs at the moment and have owned 3 others all of them were flush. Might sound petty, but it bugs me. Any thoughts ?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Does it look the same with a round chambered?

FWIW, it'd bug me too. That's not a cheap gun.

Maybe an ill fitting barrel...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Does it look the same with a round chambered?

FWIW, it'd bug me too. That's not a cheap gun.

Maybe an ill fitting barrel...
    Yes it looks the same with a round in the chamber. Seems like a barrel issue to me as well.

I’d have to say not normal. I’ve had three Kahrs now and none looked like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM9 isn't like that. Like someone else mentioned these guns aren't cheep and we shouldn't be seeing these types of issues on premium models.

My first question would be; does the gun work right? How does it shoot?
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    My first question would be; does the gun work right? How does it shoot?
    Only 100 rounds fired so far. Some failures, but I think it is the normal break in stuff. I am confident it will function properly. I just plain bugs me.

Quote Originally Posted by michstorm View Post
    Only 100 rounds fired so far. Some failures, but I think it is the normal break in stuff. I am confident it will function properly. I just plain bugs me.

I agree on both accounts.

That said,let me repost something I posted about my CW45 in this thread about a CM9 that had the slide sit forward on the frame like it does on your P9: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...little-forward
    Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    As long as the barrel and slide are in full battery (which I suspect they are), I believe that you are correct in that the slide sits forward on the frame because of how the barrel lug is cut. This doesn't necessarily mean the barrel is bad. It's quite possible that the pistol will function correctly as is. As a quick check, operate the slide briskly by hand and observe that the recoil spring guide rod stays in place. Then drop a pencil/pen/dowel with a hard flat end into the barrel, tilt the pistol so the pencil/pin/ dowel rests against the breech face/over the striker hole and pull the trigger; if the slide is positioned correctly the striker block is operated so the pencil/pin/dowel should be pushed from the barrel by the striker hitting it. If this does happen, I'd be inclined to test fire the pistol. If it works, then the issue is cosmetic.

The above isn't meant to discount the chance that the frame could be bad (holes not properly placed as mentioned earlier, excess polymer at the rear, etc), so you might want to wait for Kahr's response before going forward.

FWIW, the slide of my CW45 sat forward of it's old frame a slight amount and quite a bit more forward on the replacement frame.
    As I specifically asked that the old slide and barrel be put on the new frame, I'm not surprised that there was some mismatch. I wish the fit would have been better, but the pistol functions perfectly and is spot on accurate.
    You can just make out the issue in this photo:

To make the mismatch more palatable, I slightly beveled the rear of the frame:

Regards,
    Greg
    I was able to resolve this later on down the line when I picked up another CW45 upper on the cheap and swapped the barrel from that into my original slide:

To paraphrase the above:
    The issue is not uncommon.
    The issue is probably more cosmetic than functional (though I'd not totally discount the possibility of there being some affect on functionality).
    There are ways to, IMO, improve the appearance (not limited to what I posted above).
    The fix will likely involve a different barrel, or a different slide, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by michstorm View Post

As Kahr has responded to you saying the appearance is normal (I believe it's more like this: normal, no - common, yes - correct, no) and you are clearly not pleased with it, I believe I would shift tact with them. Document the failures and seek a return on that basis. Tape a note to it requesting they also look at the fit of the slide to rear of the frame on this premium model pistol.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Excellent info thank you

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    I agree on both accounts.

That said,let me repost something I posted about my CW45 in this thread about a CM9 that had the slide sit forward on the frame like it does on your P9: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...little-forward

I was able to resolve this later on down the line when I picked up another CW45 upper on the cheap and swapped the barrel from that into my original slide:

To paraphrase the above:
    The issue is not uncommon.
    The issue is probably more cosmetic than functional (though I'd not totally discount the possibility of there being some affect on functionality).
    There are ways to, IMO, improve the appearance (not limited to what I posted above).
    The fix will likely involve a different barrel, or a different slide, or both.

As Kahr has responded to you saying the appearance is normal (I believe it's more like this: normal, no - common, yes - correct, no) and you are clearly not pleased with it, I believe I would shift tact with them. Document the failures and seek a return on that basis. Tape a note to it requesting they also look at the fit of the slide to rear of the frame on this premium model pistol.

Regards,
    Greg
    Solid advice Greg thank you