Crimsontrace   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T40 ruining case at eject

Default T40 ruining case at eject

I posted on another thread:

The other night at the range my T40 started banging up the mouths of ejected cases. The cases were scrap as far as reloading goes, so I intend to try a new recoil spring. The manual says "D" shaped cases coming out of Kahrs is "normal", but the fact is that the gun never did this before. Kahr CS pointed me to that statement in the manual, so no fix was suggested to me. Continuing would be unacceptable, since I reload and rely on salvaging my brass. Without a fix, the gun will be set aside, possibly sold.

The gun is at about 1000-1500 rounds. I wasn't counting but know I haven't bought, made, or shot great quantities of 40 SW, since it is not a match gun for me. I have two other Kahr 40, neither of which marks the brass to this extent.

Update:

Gunsmith at the range advised that the brass is slamming on the side of the slide on its way out and that is determined by the ejector. Since the gun was not doing this before, he conceded that trying a new recoil spring was worth trying and that the gun may be due for that anyway. He suggested I order another ejector, because it would have to be modified to give the desired angle of ejection and having a backup would be wise.

Quote Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
    ....... He suggested I order another ejector, because it would have to be modified to give the desired angle of ejection and having a backup would be wise.
    Does this mean that the Kahr ejector is not a "drop-in" part?

Reference your recoil spring: Last month a rep at Kahr CS told me that all Kahrs need new recoil springs every 1000-1500 rds. Based on that and your gun's experience I'd say you're due for a new recoil spring.

recoil springs will take care of your issue. The ejector is not a dropin part and the gun lower section would have to come apart, something that I wouldnot recommend you try to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    recoil springs will take care of your issue. The ejector is not a dropin part and the gun lower section would have to come apart, something that I wouldnot recommend you try to do.
    Not to worry...the ejector discussion happened with a gunsmith, who would do the work for me...modification, installation, and testing. I would order parts a step at a time, recoil spring first, but will opt to take advantage of the shipping charge, including an extra spring for next time.

The new recoil spring made no difference. The gun wil be dropped off at the gunsmith tomorrow along with a backup ejector. I get to also pickup my Kimber 9mm with a new short trigger and adjustable rear night sights streamlined to double as a holster gun. It is a 5" target and match gun. I am anxious to give it a try.

Default I would

Quote Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
    The new recoil spring made no difference. The gun wil be dropped off at the gunsmith tomorrow along with a backup ejector. I get to also pickup my Kimber 9mm with a new short trigger and adjustable rear night sights streamlined to double as a holster gun. It is a 5" target and match gun. I am anxious to give it a try.
    think the smitty would work on the ejector that is already in the gun, so that he does not have to completely tear the gun apart. Being you have a back up if he ruins the original. why take the gun apart. all mods to the ejector can be done on the gun. sorry the new recoil spring did not cure the ills. I figured it would be good to go..

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    think the smitty would work on the ejector that is already in the gun, so that he does not have to completely tear the gun apart. Being you have a back up if he ruins the original. why take the gun apart. all mods to the ejector can be done on the gun. sorry the new recoil spring did not cure the ills. I figured it would be good to go..
    He is going to try to get the ejector to do a higher toss without coming back at me. He believes the case damage comes from glancing off the edge of the frame as it is ejected at too flat an angle out the side. He has a CW40 for a car gun, so I know Kahrs are nothing new to him.

I have the T40 back from the gunsmith and have test fired 100 rounds.

He said the current ejector adjustment still gives some denting of the case mouth on the first round that is loaded by manually closing the slide or releasing the slide lock. On subsequent rounds with the timing controlled by the action, the cases are tossed a little higher and clear the ejection port edges. The toss is high and well to my right, about 4 o'clock.

The main thing is that he doesn't believe my cases are ruined, indicating new brass (or someone else's) and making reloading impractical.

p.s. the new ejector wasn't needed but was bought as a backup, since you can't replace removed material, certainly not easily.

Dented case mouths are extremely common in .40 cal, in my expereience with Smiths, Berettas, Sigs and XDMs.

if u read your kahr manual it willtellyou about the dented cases. It is a jnormal thing with kahrs. No doubt some can be worse than others but they wll be dented like a D shape. Not sure if they make heavier recoil springs for the t9 either but if so give um a try..