Xssights   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Old sight, new sight confusion

Default Old sight, new sight confusion

I'm confused,
    I have 2 k9s purchased in 1998 and 2 PM9s bought round 2003, 2004. They all have the dimples on the underside of the slide designating them for new style sights.

If all my guns are all almost 20 yrs, old, when was the time frame for the non dimpled slides / old style sights ? 1995 - 1997 ?

The big question is for my grand daughter's P9. She likes my f.o. sight set up. So I'm trying to find out what to get her.

Her slide has 2 much smaller dimples. One before the firing pin block and one after. So I don't know if they apply as dimples or machining marks.

So far my call to Kahr has gone unanswered for 2 days

Any help here to what I need.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think the front mark is a machine witness mark but the dimple is still the dimple.

You can easily compare the sight to the pictures in your post and compare.

The old is a single angle front and back, like a triangle.

The new is a steeper angle to the top of the slide and then a shallower angle. I think it's easier to see for real than it is in the pictures.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Of the non-45 Kahrs I have now, I have replaced the sights on two and know exactly which style sight was installed.
    My K9 is circa 95, has no dimple and it has an old style dovetail MMC sight installed on it.
    CW9 is 06. It has the two dimples dimples (per jg rider's photo) and a Trijicon, two dot sight in a new style rear dovetail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I think the front mark is a machine witness mark but the dimple is still the dimple.

I agree.

FWIW, I checked kahrshop.com on the wayback machine and the first mention I see of the new dovetail was in May 2005. The info from then is pretty much what we see today.
    However, I wouldn't say that precludes the new style dovetail existing prior to that date.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Sure be nice if they started making that MMC sight again. I kind of like the looks of that a lot.

Maybe Al can take that on?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Shucks guys,
    Thanks or the info. My close in eyesight is so bad that I had to look at the dove tails on my toys through my big magnifier to see the difference.

Kahr no longer has the Novak's rear sights And Novak's doesn't have them on their web site.
    So if she wants something close to what I've got it will have to be a Dawson black rear that looks almost like the Novak's with a .040" front f.o. My Hi-iz front is a .060" pipe

Greg, So I can assume that he old style dove tail cut didn't last very long ?

I really don't know.

At first Kahr wasn't selling sights on line. Then, when they did start, the rear sight was listed as "Fits all Kahr pistols" and the front was listed as "Fits all Kahr pistols except E9". That changed in 2005 to what we have today. That info is from kahrshop.com.

I didn't see anything on kahr.com about the different dovetails, but I also didn't check every single instance where the bots crawled the site.

Another FWIW: my MK9 from 97, which has the dots and, after studying it closely, I'd say the new dovetail.

Perhaps they only used the first dovetail for a few years, then made the change which didn't cause any problems because they were doing the sight swaps. Once kahrshop.com started selling sights on line, things may have went smoothly until somebody ordered something that didn't fit their gun. That's just a wild guess, but whatever the reason, having that dot/divot/pimple behind the striker block seems to be a very accurate indication that slide will have the new style dovetail.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>