Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .45 ACP into .45 Colt die

Quote Originally Posted by jg rider View Post
    Also can't reply with quote or go advance. Get message that says message to short
    When it says message too short, it means you started writing above the last sentence of the last post. Go back and page the last message up and make sure it is above where you are starting your reply.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...bide-sizer-die

$25 is a smart investment to consider.

I stopped using the Lee Factory Crimp Die for 9mm and .45 acp a long time back. I cast my own bullets for both out of a mix of wheel weights and linotype. And then I lube size them to my slugged out barrel diameters. The 9mms are sized to .356" and the the .45s are sized to .452"

My cases are all mixed manufacturers, so there is a difference in wall thickness. Heck some of my .45 brass are old military, dating back to the 70s

So much for the tech stuff

I found when using the Lee die without setting the crimp and then I pulling the bullets, the bullets were swagged down about .001" or so. This was because of the difference in the wall thickness of the brass.

This deviation really doesn't mean much to us except the principal of it. We're not precision shooters. If we can hit 8" plates out to 25yds. that's good enough. But IMHO it's a waste of money

YMMV, John

The purpose of the Lee factory crimp die is to make any reload work in any gun.
    If your shooting your reloads in the same gun or especially if just one particular gun just neck sizing or sizing just enough to feed and chamber efficiently is all a person needs.
    I have a TC Contender in 30-30. Don't shoot it much lately but I only neck size that and mark the boxes specially for the Contender so they don't get used in my Winchesters or Marlins. They work, I just don't want to get them mixed up.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    The purpose of the Lee factory crimp die is to make any reload work in any gun.
    If your shooting your reloads in the same gun or especially if just one particular gun just neck sizing or sizing just enough to feed and chamber efficiently is all a person needs.
    I have a TC Contender in 30-30. Don't shoot it much lately but I only neck size that and mark the boxes specially for the Contender so they don't get used in my Winchesters or Marlins. They work, I just don't want to get them mixed up.
    Hi bawanna,
    Can we we agree to disagree?

I understand the theory of the Lee die, also there is something about taking out bulges. What bulges ? The only bulges I know of is if crimping to much. Then I can possibly see rerunning the round up a Lee die.

As far as the die making reloads work in any gun I don't know of anyone experiencing the problem.

I have 8 9mms and 10 .45 acp, autos all taper crimped. And revolvers, plus my fire formed, then neck sized .38, .357, .44 mag for my Marlins are all roll crimped. They will all chamber in other guns.

Except for my fire formed .44 mag. Those rounds are a tight fit into a revolver chamber.

I double posted, sorry

Nothing to disagree about. Your correct in your descriptions and your needs.

I'm correct in that the Factory die puts the case back the way it was born all the way to the rim. Do we need to do that, most of the time no.
    Is it a waste of time and money, most of the time yes but still not a bad option if wanting to start fresh or dealing with guns with tight chambers.

I wouldn't see a need for it shooting lead.

I generally don't use it so I'm not an advocate for them or anything, so far I've never received a commission check from Lee although I'm not giving up hope ya know.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I'll always full size resize mine.