Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sauce?????????

Default Sauce?????????

Looking for a good spaghetti sauce recipe. No veal. Don't care how long it has to cook. I usually use good burger meat from the butcher up nort, sweet onion. It just never turns out the way I want it. Recipes will be appreciated....................................... ..........................

Thumbs up

All my spaghetti sauces come out of a jar. Then they get the refrigerator treatment = I throw in everything I can find. It never comes out the same twice.... Sometimes it’s good. Sometimes not so much. Life’s an adventure................
    ​O|||||||O

Use spicy Italian sausage instead of the burger.

If you have access to fresh herbs (wrong time of year) it helps. If not, dried will work too, we just use more. Lean ground beef, browned with white or yellow onion, onion salt, garlic salt, fresh ground pepper and finely diced garlic, Sausage of any type can also be added for a more meaty version, maybe some sage and rosemary, drain off liquid. add stewed tomatoes with the liquid, cut to be smaller, tomato paste, tomato sauce, (Italian version if available), coarse diced green bell pepper, green onions diced small, mushrooms diced med, tons of finely diced garlic, basil, oregano, rosemary sage, parsley, fresh ground pepper, salt, some olive oil, cover with a mesh screen, let simmer on low for at least an hour, stirring frequently without scorching. Really easy, really good-

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    All my spaghetti sauces come out of a jar. Then they get the refrigerator treatment = I throw in everything I can find. It never comes out the same twice.... Sometimes it’s good. Sometimes not so much. Life’s an adventure................
    I used to use the jar method with a bit of tweeking. Then came the soy bean oil. Now, it's the first ingredient in most sauces. Tastes like $#!t. It's too expensive to keep tossing sauce out because it tastes like soy beans. I need an old time Italian mamma's sauce, meat and mushroom, that simmers for days.

Here's mine. Makes enough for three meals, (one lb box of spaghetti ). Use a knife or food processor on vegies but leave some chunks.

Spaghetti Sauce

Brown 2 lbs of lean hamburger, (or other meat if preferred) in a 6 quart pot.
    Chop or mince one large onion, one large green pepper, two large celery stalks. You want at least 3 cups of veggie. Add to meat.
    Add one 28oz tomato puree, one 15oz can of petite diced tomatoes, one 15 oz tomato sauce and two 6 oz cans of paste.
    Season with tablespoon of minced garlic, a little basil, onion powder, oregano and salt to taste.
    Simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I'd give you my wife's recipe but she won't even give it to me!

She does use hot Italian deer sausage and that's about all I know.

My wife is Italian, her family does not make sauce, they make gravy.

You get up about 4-5:00am, braise some beef, pork chops, spare ribs, chicken breast etc... Throw it all in a pot with tomato paste, diced, chopped etc.. add onions, garlic, seasonings etc...
    Add Italian sausage, homemade meat balls. Let simmer for 6-8 hours, taste and season as needed.
    End product is referred to as "gravy".
    Your standing in Grandma's eyes, determined what kind of meat you got with your meal. Bottom dwellers got meat balls only, up one notch sausage too. Top of the heap, spare ribs. I got a spare rib once, had to repair her home heating boiler to rank that.

-Ken

Edit:
    I forgot, you put one or two carrots in the gravy, remove before serving. The carrot is supposed to absorb some of the acid from the tomato products.
    NRA Benefactor

I am not Italian but I play one on TV and in my kitchen. I've tried a ton of different recipes and stumbled on the one I am going to share. This takes the best part of a Sunday to prepare but worth all the time. In Philly (where I am from) this is called Sunday Gravy. Now the author is apparently very impressed with his writing abilities but suck it up, don't lose heart and keep with this. The recipe is well worth it.

Here's the link to his site.
    https://spaghettisauceandmeatballs.com/

Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!

Sold all my guns. I dislike firearms.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    That notch in the rail is supposed to be there

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    --Thomas Jefferson (1764).

I’m addicted to pesto sauce. Costco brand is best. I’ll eat it on anything.