Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Quality Issues??? Confused K series gun owner here...

Default Quality Issues??? Confused K series gun owner here...

Have anybody else had some quality issues with Kahr pistols? Especially the K series or any other model for that matter? Im just wondering because I ordered several NEW Kahr K series pistols and Ive got some real lemons lately. The first one I ordered was an online gun purchase and it was listed as a brand new K40 Elite. When I received the gun the K40 was in a ziplock bag FILLED with black carbon laced oil. I could barley make out there was a stainless pistol in there. I didnt open the bag at the time because it would of created quite a mess and the gun store guy I picked up the gun at looked at me crazy and said, "I hope you dont open that thing up in hear!" After I took the gun home I thoroughly cleaned then gun off which took several hours of scrubbing and this gun was not new. It looked like a well used well worn well seasoned warrior gun thats seen many many battles. It looked like the gun was sent through 4 years of the WW2 island hopping Pacific Campaign against the Imperial Japanese Army and back again. I understand the fact that Kahr shoot the guns prior to sending them out but DAAAYUM! I could live with that fact because the gun needs to be worn in anyway but also this gun had major finish flaws. It looked like the gun was found in the bottom of the Titanic during an underwater expedition. Obviously that isnt acceptable for a new gun purchase.
    Moving on I purchased another K40 basic model gun through a local gun store in hopes of at least seeing first in person what I am buying. Same thing! The K40 I ordered looked terrible! So I had to refuse that one. Granted this new K40 didnt look nearly as bad as the Elite I received earlier BUT this gun was quite alot more expensive than the Elite I purchased. I assume it was more expensive because it was a local gun store buy and not an online deal. Furthermore its not a thing with me either because for example I bought a K40 from a guy many many years ago that was very USED and well worn and that gun looks way better than these supposed new guns. I still have that old K 40 but it dosent make sense to me that this really old K 40 looks waaaay better than the new Elite and other Basic K40. Anybody??? Im confused here???

I have purchased several new Kahr pistols and never had your experience. I even have one or two of their "blems" and have never found any flaw that warranted being called a blem, to me. I have never heard of them shipping new guns with finish flaws like you describe or that are filthy. I don't believe Kahr ships guns in ziplock bags, either. Perhaps someone wasn't being, uh, 'accurate' in describing these guns as new? Maybe call Kahr and see if they can confirm these as new guns?

Thanks for sharing your experience with Kahr pistols. You seem like you had a good experience with the new guns. I guess Im just unlucky or something fishy going on with some of these distributors?? No idea on that. I would like to give the name of the distributor of the Kahr K40 Elite but I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here BUT I also want to make people aware of my experience with them too. I also believe if you pay a lot for a new pistol it should be of at least descent good quality. Right??? That Elite was not cheap! I havent decided yet on giving the name of the distributor.
    I also believe that Kahr Arms wouldn't send a gun out like that but who knows Im not there quality control officer. I suspect the gun sat on the shelf for a long time and someone "had there fun with it and than some" before I got it??? Once again only speculation on that.
    Talked to Kahr about it and they said they would do something about it but I had an unexpected move that I had to do to another town and so I could not do anything about the gun at the time. Once I completed the move and had time to deal with the gun I talked to Kahr again about it and they really didnt seem willing to help me anymore on the gun so I just sold the pistol at a huge loss to me.
    I went to Gander Mountain and ordered a new K40 basic model, in which I paid a lot of money for, in fact the basic model was a lot more than the Elite. Waited almost 2 months for it and when it came in I had to refuse the gun because it had way too many tooling marks and nicks on the gun. Not talking about a few little bumps and bruises here... The edges of the slide where pretty beat up. The gander mountain kid said I dont blame you for not taking that gun and gave me my money back... Like I said my old K40 is GREAT! Looks almost new still and has at least a thousand rounds through it and this gun looked way better than any of these new guns. Weird experience right??? I took that money and purchased a new stainless Colt Commander from Bass Pro Shop instead. I couldnt be happier! I guess buyer beware??? I thought buying new you wouldnt have to worry about this kind of stuff??? I was just seeing if anyone else has had a similar experience.

There have been a few reports in this forum of poor quality control from Kahr lately. Poor milling on a slide of a PM series pistol(which I find unacceptable), a gouge out of the inside of a barrel, and the fairly regular poorly finished frames on the C series pistols.

This is something they may want to get ahold of.