Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Anyone care to guess what’s wrong?

Default Anyone care to guess what’s wrong?

My buddy has a CM9. Has always loved it. About 5 years old, 500 rounds. But, this past summer he had to shoot a snake. When he pulled the trigger, the trigger went almost to the frame. No joy (bang). As he held the trigger back, he thought “Am I crazy? Did I bring a gun with a safety? Then, BANG!”.

Fast-forward to last week. He told me he no longer likes his CM9. Hates the trigger. When I asked why, he said, “The trigger has to almost touch the frame to fire.” I said, “Well, my Kahr triggers DO break pretty far back.” He said, “You don’t understand.” Last week, he unloaded it and handed it to me. I racked the slide, and said, “I feel something gritty. Weird.” I pulled the trigger, and said, “The trigger is squishy.” It broke 1/32” from the frame. He said, “Kahr triggers are all smooth like that.” Now, it was my turn to say “You dont understand. It feels like when you remove your slide, then reinsert the slide stop to check to see if rounds in the mag are contacting the slide stop. Then, you forget to remove the slide stop and instead slide the slide up over the slide stop, creating a jammed slide that won’t move. The trigger cam gets caught on something, and the springs are not strong enough to move the trigger cam past the obstruction.” He asked, “Who in the h$&@ would do that?” I said, “I know a guy... Anywho, either you broke a trigger bar, but I don’t know what that feels like, or your striker channel is so crudded up that your trigger cam can’t pull it back. Again, I don’t know what that feels like, or if that can even happen to cause this problem. Regardless, it needs to go back to the mothership.”

The Kahr pre-paid label came this week, and it is now in the hands of Kahr. Any guesses as to what the problem is and/or what Kahr service will list as the work they performed in the gun?

-Wlf

I'm gonna go with crud in the striker channel based on the delay, pull the trigger, time for a few thoughts in the head and then bang.

I think it would take a lot of crud to make that happen but maybe it had some in the first place and just got into a position to cause an issue.

Do let us know how this turns out.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I'm with "clean the striker channel and leave it bone dry" too.

Are you saying the trigger pull changed after 500 rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by lee1000 View Post
    A dirty striker channel would make it harder to pull the striker back as well as not letting it fly forward. That would make for a harder and rougher trigger pull, and if the striker hung up on a bit of crud it would account for the longer trigger pull and the delay in firing. Always try the simplest thing first. Strip the slide down and clean everything and reassemble dry. If that doesn't cure it then look for serious trouble. You might also spray some cleaner down the handle while working the trigger just incase you have some dirt under the trigger bar to.

Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    A dirty striker channel would make it harder to pull the striker back as well as not letting it fly forward. That would make for a harder and rougher trigger pull, and if the striker hung up on a bit of crud it would account for the longer trigger pull and the delay in firing. Always try the simplest thing first. Strip the slide down and clean everything and reassemble dry. If that doesn't cure it then look for serious trouble. You might also spray some cleaner down the handle while working the trigger just incase you have some dirt under the trigger bar to.
    Thanks, guys! He went ahead and sent it back to the mothership, so it will be interesting to learn what was wrong. If anything, the trigger pull felt softer to me, and “squishy”. It’s not my gun, but I think I have an idea of what it should feel like. I just don’t know what was causing it.

I am hoping that Kahr provides some detail as to what items they replaced and/or fixed.

-Wlf

Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    Thanks, guys! He went ahead and sent it back to the mothership, so it will be interesting to learn what was wrong. If anything, the trigger pull felt softer to me, and “squishy”. It’s not my gun, but I think I have an idea of what it should feel like. I just don’t know what was causing it.

I am hoping that Kahr provides some detail as to what items they replaced and/or fixed.

-Wlf

Quote Originally Posted by lee1000 View Post
    Yes. He says that he pulled it out one day to shoot a snake, pulled the trigger and no bang. He kept pulling the trigger back, and the gun fired when the trigger touched the rubber grip sleeve he has on the gun. It doesn’t seem to matter. I pulled the trigger the other day with the sleeve, and without, and the gun goes bang, but not until tomorrow pull the trigger back until it is “almost” touching the frame. Hold it there for two seconds, and then you feel the striker let loose and slam forward. Then the gun goes bang.

-Wlf