Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CW380 - Slide stays a bit back when pulled

Default CW380 - Slide stays a bit back when pulled

I got a new CW380 last week, and decided to clean it after about 100 rounds. After putting it back together, I noticed that whenever I pull the slide back a bit, it does not return all the way. It is much more noticeable when there is a round in the chamber or mag. (However, it is very easy to push it back into place)

I read a thread on here from 2014 where someone had the same issue, but there we're conflicting opinions as to whether it was normal.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by EeaUM; 02-14-2018 at 05:05 PM.

How many total rounds have you run thru it? Did you follow the New Kahr prep in the Kahr Tech thread? I got a CT380 in December and had all kinds of issues with FTE and FTF and not going all the way into battery? After I found this forum and the How to's in the Kahlr Tech threads I have not had any issues in over 250 rounds!! I think the big plus to making the gun run better is to do the 500 hand racks without the mag in it! I could feel the gun loosen up as I was doing it and after a few breaks (it will work on your wrist and and forearm muscles) I did a couple hundred more for good measure? I just went in and checked mine and with or without the mag or one in the chamber it will go right back into battery easily just pulling it back a 1/4 to inch easily!! That's my 2 cents!!

May seem obvious, but I would take it apart and put it back together again. Be careful when you re-insert the slide stop pin that the catch goes in under the spring
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Quote Originally Posted by dpierce View Post
    How many total rounds have you run thru it? Did you follow the New Kahr prep in the Kahr Tech thread? I got a CT380 in December and had all kinds of issues with FTE and FTF and not going all the way into battery? After I found this forum and the How to's in the Kahlr Tech threads I have not had any issues in over 250 rounds!! I think the big plus to making the gun run better is to do the 500 hand racks without the mag in it! I could feel the gun loosen up as I was doing it and after a few breaks (it will work on your wrist and and forearm muscles) I did a couple hundred more for good measure? I just went in and checked mine and with or without the mag or one in the chamber it will go right back into battery easily just pulling it back a 1/4 to inch easily!! That's my 2 cents!!
    I have just about 200 rounds through it after tonight's range trip. Got around 20 failure to return to battery and 10 light primer strikes tonight out of about 100 rounds.

I did did break in procedures, but it didn't really seem to help with the current issues unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    May seem obvious, but I would take it apart and put it back together again. Be careful when you re-insert the slide stop pin that the catch goes in under the spring
    I've done it a few times to no avail.

I'm going to upload some pictures to see if you guys spot anything out of the ordinary.

I also realized that this issue can only be replicated when the gun is cocked - doesn't matter if there is a round in the chamber or the mag.

EDIT: Here are the pics. (first 3 pics are to show the issue. The rest are the internals. Ignore the slide release not being there. Problem happens regardless)
    http://m.imgur.com/a/0kiCH

EeaMU,
    There's quite a balancing act going on between the recoil spring and the striker spring in these smaller Kahr pistols. Anything that might cause drag in the striker system could affect that balance. It might also be enough to have an effect on striker hits.

Have you disassembled the slide and inspected/cleaned the striker parts (to include the striker channel)?

Regards,
    Greg

BTW, welcome to the forums
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    EeaMU,
    There's quite a balancing act going on between the recoil spring and the striker spring in these smaller Kahr pistols. Anything that might cause drag in the striker system could affect that balance. It might also be enough to have an effect on striker hits.

Have you disassembled the slide and inspected/cleaned the striker parts (to include the striker channel)?

Regards,
    Greg

BTW, welcome to the forums
    Thank you for the warm welcome!

I actually tried to, but I couldn't get the second detent (next to the back plate) depressed. It needs a REALLY small pin of some sort. I was thinking of taking it to my local gun shop to see if they have a tool that would work.

[QUOTE=EeaUM;395231]I have just about 200 rounds through it after tonight's range trip. Got around 20 failure to return to battery and 10 light primer strikes tonight out of about 100 rounds.

I did did break in procedures, but it didn't really seem to help with the current issues unfortunately.

I've done it a few times to no avail.

I'm going to upload some pictures to see if you guys spot anything out of the ordinary.

I also realized that this issue can only be replicated when the gun is cocked - doesn't matter if there is a round in the chamber or the mag.

EDIT: Here are the pics. (first 3 pics are to show the issue. The rest are the internals. Ignore the slide release not being there. Problem happens regardless)
    http://m.imgur.com/a/0kiCH[/QUOTE

When you cleaned it did you do step 2 where you pull the striker back and clean the striker channel clean out hole? I had done what I thought was a good clean before I found the Prep thread here but did not know about step 2? When I sprayed brake clean thru that hole and around the striker I could not believe how much crude came out? After following the steps for Prepping and hand racking it 700 times oh ya I also polished the feed ramp I can now hand rack it without using the slide lock and it feeds smooth and goes into battery easy? I see in the last pic of your slide the striker channel hole is the same color as the slide and looks flush to the slide? Mine is dark in color and you can see the hole where it is drilled to the striker channel? Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by EeaUM View Post
    Thank you for the warm welcome!

I actually tried to, but I couldn't get the second detent (next to the back plate) depressed. It needs a REALLY small pin of some sort. I was thinking of taking it to my local gun shop to see if they have a tool that would work.
    No special tool needed. It's just deceiving. The little half moon notch is bigger than the actual hole you use to depress the extractor pin. Chances are if you don't feel it depressing your pushing on the plate and not getting to the pin.
    A strong needle or fine scribe is needed to clear it. I actually use a jeweler screw driver, one of the smallest in the set.
    First time or two it might take some careful prying to get the back plate to start off.

Also look into a Ripley Retractor. A bent piece of coat hanger to keep the striker spring under control while you remove the back plate.

Once you've done it, you'll see how easy it really is.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Wait wait. I stuck an Allen key behind the striker spring, but am I supposed to pull it all the way back at the same time I'm sticking the needle in the second decent?

Quote Originally Posted by EeaUM View Post
    Wait wait. I stuck an Allen key behind the striker spring, but am I supposed to pull it all the way back at the same time I'm sticking the needle in the second decent?
    The striker spring and striker spring guide rod sit in a recess of the back plate; they only need to be moved enough to allow the plate to slide free,
    This gent does a good explanation of this in his video:

Many here prefer using a "Ripley Retractor" in lieu of the cable tie used in the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    ..... Here's another solution. I call it the Ripley Retractor. A simple piece of wire clothes hanger cut to fit and retain the spring safely while the plate is removed and after it is off. Easy to make and it works well. Keeps all pressure off the plate and keeps parts from flying around until you're ready to ease them out.

Like Bawanna, I use a very small jeweler's screwdriver to push the extractor pin.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>