Xssights   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Freedom Munitions .380 ACP in the Kahr CW380

Default Freedom Munitions .380 ACP in the Kahr CW380

I went to the local grand opening of "Gander Outdoors" formerly known as "Gander Mountain" the other day, and picked up some "Freedom Munitions" .380 ACP ammo that was very cheap. Considering .380 ammo is outrageously expensive these days. I got to the range and loaded up my 2 (6) round mags in my Kahr CW380 and every now and then I got a failure to feed. At first I tried just pushing the rear of the slide with the butt of my palm to get it to go to battery, then realized I had to PULL the slide to the rear to get the next round to load. This happened several more times after 200 rounds. My conclusion was that the slide was not going all the way back after being fired. Does this mean Freedom Munitions ammo doesn't have enough pressure to cycle the Kahr CW380? And has anyone else cycled this ammo through their CW without any issues?

I shoot Freedom Munitions ammo all the time, but not .380ACP.
    Never had any issues with .45 ACP ever, had one 9mm that the primer wasn't fully seated. Fired the 2nd try.
    Was the ammo new or reman? If remain, might be the case rim is too thick for your extractor.
    NRA Benefactor

kenemoore. It was new and not reloads.

I’ve run these through my CW380 without issue. My son in law had a similar problem..we found that one of the recoil springs was reversed when he cleaned it last. That corrected his issue. Probably worth a quick check.

SkeletonSlinky, I've cleaned the gun since running the rounds through it. I'm sure the springs are in the correct position. Thanks for your input!

My CW380 is ammo-sensitive, and I believe it is because of "tight" chamber dimensions. I had problems with Remington green box, but other brands have worked well for me. My recommendation is to try out a couple of types of ammo -- I have found that the Sig, Federal and Hornady hollow point ammo all run fine.

Default Freedom Munitions .380 ACP in the Kahr CW380

My CW380 is ammo-sensitive as well, but Freedom Munitions’ new and reman .380 ACP is the only ammo I shoot at the range now. I did encounter some problems a while back but a new set of recoil springs (which were overdue) corrected everything. I rely on Hornady Custom XTP’s for my EDC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RWW84 View Post
    My CW380 is ammo-sensitive as well, but Freedom Munitions’ new and reman .380 ACP is the only ammo I shoot at the range now. I did encounter some problems a while back but a new set of recoil springs (which were overdue) corrected everything. I rely on Hornady Custom XTP’s for my EDC.

My P380 has the same problem with both New & remanufactured .380 from Freedom. I attribute it to the flat nose configuration of the .380 rnd vs the round nose of the 9MM, .40 etc
    Polishing the feed ramp didn’t make much of a difference