Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrades to reduce recoil on PM40

Default Upgrades to reduce recoil on PM40

Hello, what are the favorite upgrades for the PM40 to tame the recoil? I see Wolfe springs are available, are there lower grain ammos that would help too? I am finally starting to get used to this .40, it took a while, many rounds. The CT did not seem to help, except show if I flinch. Better groups, but I figure if I can bring down the snap somewhat, it will not hurt! Favorite ideas? I am sure there will be many who say get a 9mm Kahr, and I have a Gl-9 which shoots great. I may get a 9 Kahr or trade for one, many pop up in San Diego in CalGuns. Any info on the taming of the 40 will help-! Thanks!

It's not a target gun. It will always have a lot of recoil. Nothing will tame it. Practice helps. As someone wisely put on this site...........aim for the stomach and let it ride up. The shots will end up where you need them to be.

Thumbs up

Berettabone is right. Practice (and maybe a good grip) will get you used to the recoil. But it won't actually lessen. I've got a P40 that certainly lets you know you are shooting. Excepting it has a little more grip to hold onto vs. your PM. But its easy to carry and I can hit what I point at. It's my favorite carry.

You might find some milder loaded ammo. Someone once recommended PMC to me. And maybe one of them grip sleeves might help just a little. Good luck.
    ​O|||||||O

After shooting .40 cal pretty exclusively, I have learned that instead of fighting the recoil, go with it. Use the "bounce, flip" what ever you want to call it, to your advantage. You can get a rhythm going when shooting multiples.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...oint-box-of-20

This is an option but reviews indicate recoil is the same.

Cool info, thanks to all! I like the Magnaport option, Wonder how much it blinds one at night. $145 is a bit much, but for quality work seems reasonable. You can see a bit less recoil on the video. I would probably go that route vs the federal ammo in 135g. Overall, it is not "too snappy", but I am just looking to be more accurate. I guess more range time is the answer too! Thanks!

I had a Mag-na-ported Stainless P40 that I loved. I got a good deal on a Black (DLC) one and sold the ported one. I bought the Kahr ported barrel for my new P40. It's not available for the CM/M series, though.
    I have the P9 similarly set up as well. If they made a ported barrel for my P45, I would buy one of those, too... like the extra length and maybe a bit less recoil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Hmmm, Kahr makes a ported version for my Pm40...good info! Is it 4 inches? Is there a benefit to just doing the barrel and not the slide, besides length? I will have to check the new website for this- Thanks!

No... just for the larger ones... K, P, & CW. M's & P's are not interchangeable... barrel hoods and locking parts for barrel to slide lock up don't mate.
    https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/gu...0-ptbrl40p.asp

CM40 barrel:
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".