Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quest for the Perfect AOM 130 - Part I

So, continuing this little saga, I asked Kahr for an update on fixing my rifle. They indicating a 10 to 12 week turnaround time...seems they're overwhelmed with returns. They received my rifle on March 5, so I'm figuring they'll ship it back sometime in the first part of June.

Well to put it mildly that sucks really really bad. Wish I had a magic button to push to cut that time down to a week or so but alas, I'm powerless.

I feel your pain though, patience is far from my strong suit.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

AN UPDATE: Today, about 10 weeks after shipping the AO130 back to Kahr, I finally received a phone call. Nice guy working in the repair shop. The upshot: "we shot 2 mags worth of rounds through the rifle and checked the headspace. Other than a rough looking barrel band screw, which we're replacing, we can't find anything wrong with the rifle and we're sending it back to you." I asked them to try firing a few mags rapid fire to see if they can find anything when it warms up. And they agreed to do that. But I suspect I'm gonna have to find a good gunsmith.

This story just keeps getting better and better.

Johnny come lately here, but I'm curious, when you say jam, what kind of jam?

CCHGN, better late than never. Glad to have ya here.

Failures to feed in a few cases. Many, many cases of the bolt failing to go into battery - far enough to lock, just not far enough for the firing pin to hit the primer. Between the two, not a single shot without an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by fteter View Post
    CCHGN, better late than never. Glad to have ya here.

Failures to feed in a few cases. Many, many cases of the bolt failing to go into battery - far enough to lock, just not far enough for the firing pin to hit the primer. Between the two, not a single shot without an issue.
    OK, FTF, meaning the bolt recoils, but fails to pick up a round, or it picks up the round but doesn't shove it into the chamber? IF the bolt locks, isn't that in battery? Can't wait to see what it is, but imo, it doesn;t sound like just one thing, but several, like bad head space and/or bad mags and/or the feeding ramp is off and/or the recoil spring is too weak and/or the extractor is not right. Did you send your mags to them or are they using their own?

Quote Originally Posted by CCHGN View Post
    OK, FTF, meaning the bolt recoils, but fails to pick up a round, or it picks up the round but doesn't shove it into the chamber? IF the bolt locks, isn't that in battery? Can't wait to see what it is, but imo, it doesn;t sound like just one thing, but several, like bad head space and/or bad mags and/or the feeding ramp is off and/or the recoil spring is too weak and/or the extractor is not right. Did you send your mags to them or are they using their own?
    Sent in my mag, the one that came with the rifle.

When it’s a FTF, it’s a matter of the round failing to get fully into position. That’s the less frequent of the two issues. With the failure to go into battery, the bolt engages just enough to lock, but the firing pin does not hit the primer. And it literally takes a whack with a rubber mallet to disengage the bolt. And the bolt does pass when checked with GO and NO-GO gauges. Weird.

When it’s a FTF, it’s a matter of the round failing to get fully into position. That’s the less frequent of the two issues. With the failure to go into battery, the bolt engages just enough to lock, but the firing pin does not hit the primer. And it literally takes a whack with a rubber mallet to disengage the bolt. And the bolt does pass when checked with GO and NO-GO gauges. Weird.

Did you tell them that( about the mallet)? The go -no go tests the head space of the face of the bolt, to the chamber. The tabs on the bolt, fitting into the receiver is something else. Sounds like the bolt is not fitting into the receiver properly. Combine that with the FTF, I'd suspect a bolt/receiver mate up issue.

Reading that you need to use a mallet to open the action on a unfired round, I wonder if you are having an issue with your rifle's free bore/leade and whatever ammo you are using or possibly just a problem with the ammo you are using. Is this problem occurring with a variety of ammo?
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Reading that you need to use a mallet to open the action on a unfired round, I wonder if you are having an issue with your rifle's free bore/leade and whatever ammo you are using or possibly just a problem with the ammo you are using. Is this problem occurring with a variety of ammo?
    Regards,
    Greg
    Possibility Greg...good thought. I tried several different brands with no luck. But the Kahr people tested with Hornady Critical Defense and assert that it ran fine. So I’ll be trying some of the same when the rifle gets back to me. We’ll see how it goes,