Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace

Thread: Another CW380 range report - with update

Default Another CW380 range report - with update

Hi all. Just got back from my first range outing with a new CW380. I was really nervous pulling the trigger (lol) on buying the Kahr vs other options due to mixed reviews of its reliability. But I decided to take my chances as this little gun seems to be the perfect size for pocket carry, fits my hand very comfortably, and hearing those who rave about how well it shoots for its size. After reading much on this forum about ammo preference I bought a box of American Eagle, Speer, Magtech, Blazer and Hornady Critical Defense to start out with. I cleaned it out pretty good and lubed in the places as outlined in one of the sticky's on the forum and left the slide open over the weekend. Gotta say I was cautiously optimistic, but in the back of my mind worried about getting a "lemon". Well I have say I left the range really happy. Fired 50 rounds of Speer followed by 50 rounds of Blazer and had NOT ONE malfunction of ANY KIND...100%! I was conscious of not getting it too hot so I shot a couple of other guns I brought about halfway between getting through each box to allow the CW380 to cool a bit. Now I will take it apart, give it another good cleaning and lube, inspect for any abnormal wear, and go back to the range to finish the break-in. As you can imagine I'm now VERY optimistic about this little pistol. I was very pleased with its shootability, especially for a gun this size. Even after a couple hundred combined rounds in a little over an hour, my hands don't feel fatigued at all.

Thanks to all on this forum who have commented both positive and negative (or shall we call it, things to look for) along with great-to-know general information. Overall, I'm very pleased with everything about the CW380 thus far...wish me luck with the next 100 rounds!

2/28/18 UPDATE: Went to the range today to finish up the 200 round break-in. Started off with 50 rounds of Magtech...zero failures. Moved on to 50 rounds of American Eagle...zero failures. Finished up with 12 rounds of the Hornady CD with zero failures. (Only have a box of 25, so I wanted to save at least two full mags worth until I can pick up some more). So overall I've fired 212 rounds of various ammo and not one failure of any kind. Needless to say I am very happy with this CW380 and glad I chose this gun vs any of its competitors. I did give it a good cleaning and lube after the first hundred rounds, which I plan on doing again now. So thank you again to all who have provided info based on their personal experiences! Note...the Magtech ammo seemed to be the least accurate AND the dirtiest of the ammo I've tried so far. Didn't really notice any difference between the others. If anyone is on the fence about picking up one of these, I can most definitely give a 100% recommendation based on my personal experience so far!!!
    Last edited by cpmtigers; 02-28-2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: update

Great news. Mine was not so reliable at first. I did a little work to it and now it fires everything every time. These are great guns and I feel it’s worth it if you have to do a little work to get it to run right. I’ve had a LCP and P3AT before. They are in a different category in my opinion. They are not fun to shoot and they take too much effort to shoot accurately. The CW feels and shoots like a bigger gun without having the extra size and weight. I love mine and I hope you will too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum, and I'm glad to hear your new pistol is running well. I was happy my CW380 ran well right from the box too.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I've put 150 rounds through mine with only pauses to reload the mags with no problem. I don't think you have to worry about the heat.

Took my CW380 to the range again and my son and I ran another box and a half of known compatible ammo through it. The only issue I am having is with the extended mag, which is sensitive to grip pressure on the extension end. With the standard flush mag, and the flush mag with the Magguts springs, the pistol runs perfectly. My son commented on how smooth and easy to shoot the CW380 is. Always a great day when I get a chance to go shooting with one of my sons

2/28/18 UPDATE: Went to the range today to finish up the 200 round break-in. Started off with 50 rounds of Magtech...zero failures. Moved on to 50 rounds of American Eagle...zero failures. Finished up with 12 rounds of the Hornady CD with zero failures. (Only have a box of 25, so I wanted to save at least two full mags worth until I can pick up some more). So overall I've fired 212 rounds of various ammo and not one failure of any kind. Needless to say I am very happy with this CW380 and glad I chose this gun vs any of its competitors. I did give it a good cleaning and lube after the first hundred rounds, which I plan on doing again now. So thank you again to all who have provided info based on their personal experiences! Note...the Magtech ammo seemed to be the least accurate AND the dirtiest of the ammo I've tried so far. Didn't really notice any difference between the others. If anyone is on the fence about picking up one of these, I can most definitely give a 100% recommendation based on my personal experience so far!!!

Congrats,it sounds like Kahr may have smoothed out some quality controll issues they were having,I wish mine had worked that good the first time around.
    I do carry mine daily now but required a trip back to the factory and a fair amount of test rounds to get it to where I felt confident with it.