Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charter Arms Pitbull 40

Default Charter Arms Pitbull 40

I picked this one up yesterday - Charter Arms Pitbull 40 S&W. I have a thing for revolvers chambered in an auto pistol round and since I already have the 45 ACP version, this was just the next in line. I reload 40 S&W and 10MM so this fits into my program.

I gave it a good cleaning and added the Altamont grips and took it to the range. I shot 150 rounds of handloads through it. 180 gr lead FP, 180gr Berry's FP, and 180gr Hornady XTP and it shot all without any problems. It was more accurate with my bunny fart lead reloads.

How is the trigger??????? I would be curious as time goes on, to know how the quality end holds up over time. Good choice in caliber IMHO.

I can't speak about the quality of the newer models but I've got an Undercover that's about 40 years old that I've put several thousand rounds through over the years. Never had any issues and still part of my carry rotation. I'm much more accurate with it than any sub compact semi auto that I've owned.

Good choice, I'm in the market for a pitbull too, but in 9mm. I'm looking to create a matched caliber travel pair of SD guns. I like to carry my K9 as I shoot it better than any of my other SD choices. I have an IWB holster and it rides wonderfully at my 4 o'clock. The issues is when I sit or drive, the gun is almost inaccessible in that comfy spot. Standing, the gun draws quick and clean, sitting, not so much.
    I have been looking for a 9mm revolver that I can carry crossdraw that will use the same 124grn HP ammo as my K9, without using moonclips. I always carry a reload for my SD guns. The K9 has a well proven 8 round mag and I like speed strips for my revolvers. Pitbull's do not reload fast (they are not awful, but it's more like an old florescent bulb starting than a lightning bolt on the reload) and you can forget a speed loader, but the speed strip works great. We did a few reloads from a Kahr CW9 mag when I shot my buddies and that worked okay also (I was better with a speed strip, he was about the same either way, but liked the magazine "loader" better).
    My issue has been in finding one local, for a decent price. I will admit it has not been an intensive search, but I keep looking. The last few gunshows I've been to (with $$ to spend) yielded only one, and it was the black nitride finish version. Charters are a little "rough around the edges" and I will be dehorning the little doggie to get it ready to carry. It'll be a lot easier to bead blast back the finish on a stainless gun than to restore the black fancy nitride finish that I found.
    Also, If I play my cards right and can win a bid on GunBroker for a change, I will buy used and get one of the early six shooter PitBulls.
    Nobody who knows anything at all about guns will mistake a Charter Arms revolver for a classic Colt or S&W in fit or finish, but they do always shoot and if you do your part, they will shoot straight.

Let us know how yours behaves at the range if you please 10mm shooter.

Peace.
    Last edited by Planedude; 02-26-2018 at 04:22 AM.
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

I like the grain on the grips. Looks like a great SD piece. Hate to be on the receiving end.

I happened to be in my LGS buying ammo yesterday and way back in the corner of a case full of Rugers and S&W's I spotted a used Bulldog for $299. Inspired by 10mm Shooters Pitbull (and the fact I've always liked the Classic Bulldog) I brought it home with me. After a little research it looks like I found a first year of production revolver. Other than a little holster wear in a couple of spots this thing is in great shape and shoots better than expected.

It looks angry, like a pit-bull.
    I was in the hood (That would encompass the whole city) in Bridgeport, Ct and this nasty short legged Pit was chewing on the fence, hankering to get out and clamp on to someone.
    My New Web Store!
    www.teampython.com
    __________________________________________________ _____
    The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”

Quote Originally Posted by myskyn View Post
    I can't speak about the quality of the newer models but I've got an Undercover that's about 40 years old that I've put several thousand rounds through over the years. Never had any issues and still part of my carry rotation. I'm much more accurate with it than any sub compact semi auto that I've owned.
    The original Charter Arms revolvers such as yours were outstanding. My own Pathfinder, circa '68/'69 production, is on my never ever sell list. Conversely, iterations beyond those are on my never want anything to do with list
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by myskyn View Post
    I happened to be in my LGS buying ammo yesterday and way back in the corner of a case full of Rugers and S&W's I spotted a used Bulldog for $299. Inspired by 10mm Shooters Pitbull (and the fact I've always liked the Classic Bulldog) I brought it home with me. After a little research it looks like I found a first year of production revolver. Other than a little holster wear in a couple of spots this thing is in great shape and shoots better than expected.
    Cool find, I found a somewhat ratty looking, but mechanically sound Bulldog at my local pawn shop for $225. I always said if I had a Bulldog it'd have to be Magnaported and wear Pacmyer compact grips. This gun had both. I sent mine back to Charter for refinishing ($149) and Dee (co-owner) was able to tell me that the gun was, like yours, a first year production piece.

Love mine, enjoy yours.
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    The original Charter Arms revolvers such as yours were outstanding. My own Pathfinder, circa '68/'69 production, is on my never ever sell list. Conversely, iterations beyond those are on my never want anything to do with list
    i have 3 charter arms revolvers of the "newer" iterations...top notch revolvers in fit and function. the 6 shot police special 38 is my favorite gun that i own..and i own smith/wessons and ruger revolvers also...best service in the industry ....i had a question about my new 357 magnum ammo and the owner of the company returned my call....when i first got my 12 ounce off-duty , i had an instance of bullet-pull from a magnum +P load which is common for lightweight revolvers of all manufacturers..had charter check it out just in case....no damage and checked out fine....from the day i sent it in, it was delivered to me back in 7 days and that included one weekend!