Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun

Thread: Those Who’ve Switched from Pocket Carry to IWB (or vice versa)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I don't have any of the firearms that you own, but I do have an MK9. I can tell you a few things. To me, any other way of carry besides OWB is uncomfortable in some way. I have front pocket carried my MK for over 8 years. It's the only firearm I carry front pocket. This way requires that your drawers will stay up, so you can easily access your firearm. The only way I've found to do this was suspenders. If you do something long enough, you get used to it. For IWB, I have found a tuckable, small leather holster that is about as minimal as I can find for IWB. IWB is not easy for me. I owned a Crossbreed type holster. It was my first and only holster that was the most uncomfortable holster I have worn to this day. It was my one and only holster "mistake" that went in to a drawer. Way too much going on, way too much material. I front pocket carry under certain conditions, but if at all possible, I prefer to carry OWB with a sweatshirt or coat/jacket over the top. I feel that you need at least 3 ways to carry a firearm. It covers most situations. I understand that location does play a part.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I don't have any of the firearms that you own, but I do have an MK9. I can tell you a few things. To me, any other way of carry besides OWB is uncomfortable in some way. I have front pocket carried my MK for over 8 years. It's the only firearm I carry front pocket. This way requires that your drawers will stay up, so you can easily access your firearm. The only way I've found to do this was suspenders. If you do something long enough, you get used to it. For IWB, I have found a tuckable, small leather holster that is about as minimal as I can find for IWB. IWB is not easy for me. I owned a Crossbreed type holster. It was my first and only holster that was the most uncomfortable holster I have worn to this day. It was my one and only holster "mistake" that went in to a drawer. Way too much going on, way too much material. I front pocket carry under certain conditions, but if at all possible, I prefer to carry OWB with a sweatshirt or coat/jacket over the top. I feel that you need at least 3 ways to carry a firearm. It covers most situations. I understand that location does play a part.
    Agree with all of this except the suspenders part. Just can't bring myself to give in to this.

It's like the whole bifocal thing. Just stupid pride.

All my Kahrs get pocket carried most of the time. Except the CW45 - not a pocket gun.

A good belt makes all the difference.

I carry my CM9 frequently. Where I carry it depends on where I am, what clothing I have on and finally how hot it is.

I am pretty slender so appendix IWB works well for me. This allows reasonably quick access to the gun while sitting or standing. I don't like sweat covered guns so IWB doesn't work in the summer.

I have an Uncle George rear pocket holster. This works well with jeans but access is slow. I use this when other carry methods aren't viable. If it is warm outside, this method results in a sweat soaked gun and holster really quickly.

I have a number of front pocket holsters for the CM9. These are moisture proof so work real well when it is warm out. I pick my holster/pocket combinations so I can put my hand in my pocket and grip the gun without it being obvious that I have done so. I consider this to be a tremendous advantage. Pocket holsters make drawing while seated pretty slow for me. Except for this one problem, I would always pocket carry the CM9.