Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Those Who’ve Switched from Pocket Carry to IWB (or vice versa)

Default Those Who’ve Switched from Pocket Carry to IWB (or vice versa)

I have a CW380 that I’m in the process of breaking-in. I bought this gun with the intention of pocket carrying (with an Alabama Holster front pocket holster).

I have a PM9 ordered, with the intention of either pocket carrying if clothing allows (also Alabama Holster) or IWB (CrossBreed).

I’ve done a ton of reading and see advantages/disadvantages of both styles of carry. In the end, I know my decision will come down to personal preference, comfort, style of dress, ability to quickly access, etc. Further, I understand that different destinations/activities/environments might make one carry style more advantageous than the other (i.e., I might pocket carry one day, then IWB the next).

However, I’d appreciate the insight of Kahr PM9/CM9/P380/CW380 owners (or those who conceal-carry similar sized handguns) who’ve moved from pocket carry to IWB (or vice versa) - either permanently or just for particular situations - and what went into your decision process.

Much appreciated!
    Last edited by NothingToSeeHere; 02-26-2018 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Clarify

I don't have any of the firearms that you own, but I do have an MK9. I can tell you a few things. To me, any other way of carry besides OWB is uncomfortable in some way. I have front pocket carried my MK for over 8 years. It's the only firearm I carry front pocket. This way requires that your drawers will stay up, so you can easily access your firearm. The only way I've found to do this was suspenders. If you do something long enough, you get used to it. For IWB, I have found a tuckable, small leather holster that is about as minimal as I can find for IWB. IWB is not easy for me. I owned a Crossbreed type holster. It was my first and only holster that was the most uncomfortable holster I have worn to this day. It was my one and only holster "mistake" that went in to a drawer. Way too much going on, way too much material. I front pocket carry under certain conditions, but if at all possible, I prefer to carry OWB with a sweatshirt or coat/jacket over the top. I feel that you need at least 3 ways to carry a firearm. It covers most situations. I understand that location does play a part.

I used to be an OWB only guy. Nothing IWB worked for me. I tried many. I finally got a Garrett Silent Thunder and at first I thought another failure, just didn't work, tossed it in the drawer with the other failures. For whatever reason I got it out again and started to play around and found that with some minor adjustments and getting used to it, it works great for me. I now often times forget I'm even wearing it and this is with a steel framed 1911.
    Sometimes it pays to play around and try different things, position, cant so on so forth. If I could lose 25 or 30 pounds or at least several inches around the waist it would be even better.
    My well known favorite OWB is of course a Mernickle, the PS6. It rides very high and stays tucked into your side. The only plus gained by the IWB is a short shirt or jacket will not expose the business end as it's tucked down in your britches.

I've never carried in my pocket and never will. It's almost like an ankle rig, I wear one as a back up weapon or for accessing while sitting, I sit alot, its there, it's comforting and better than sitting at home in the sock drawer but it isn't quick and it's sort of like a banana in your pocket. True most folks don't look closely at that area, although I think most women still check me out pretty close but still I don't even consider it a viable carry option.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I don't have any of the firearms that you own, but I do have an MK9. I can tell you a few things. To me, any other way of carry besides OWB is uncomfortable in some way. I have front pocket carried my MK for over 8 years. It's the only firearm I carry front pocket. This way requires that your drawers will stay up, so you can easily access your firearm. The only way I've found to do this was suspenders. If you do something long enough, you get used to it. For IWB, I have found a tuckable, small leather holster that is about as minimal as I can find for IWB. IWB is not easy for me. I owned a Crossbreed type holster. It was my first and only holster that was the most uncomfortable holster I have worn to this day. It was my one and only holster "mistake" that went in to a drawer. Way too much going on, way too much material. I front pocket carry under certain conditions, but if at all possible, I prefer to carry OWB with a sweatshirt or coat/jacket over the top. I feel that you need at least 3 ways to carry a firearm. It covers most situations. I understand that location does play a part.
    Agree with all of this except the suspenders part. Just can't bring myself to give in to this.

It's like the whole bifocal thing. Just stupid pride.

All my Kahrs get pocket carried most of the time. Except the CW45 - not a pocket gun.

A good belt makes all the difference.

I carry my CM9 frequently. Where I carry it depends on where I am, what clothing I have on and finally how hot it is.

I am pretty slender so appendix IWB works well for me. This allows reasonably quick access to the gun while sitting or standing. I don't like sweat covered guns so IWB doesn't work in the summer.

I have an Uncle George rear pocket holster. This works well with jeans but access is slow. I use this when other carry methods aren't viable. If it is warm outside, this method results in a sweat soaked gun and holster really quickly.

I have a number of front pocket holsters for the CM9. These are moisture proof so work real well when it is warm out. I pick my holster/pocket combinations so I can put my hand in my pocket and grip the gun without it being obvious that I have done so. I consider this to be a tremendous advantage. Pocket holsters make drawing while seated pretty slow for me. Except for this one problem, I would always pocket carry the CM9.

Back pocket is the most comfortable place for me to carry, but it needs a holster that keeps the gun oriented properly for an easy draw, and a shirt tail or jacket to cover it.

I can/do/have pocket carried my cm9 many times. I also have a nice kydex holster and AIWB carry it often.
    My cw380 when carried is pocket carry all the time.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I started out with back pocket carry, a Taurus TCP in a wallet style holster. It's a fallback for me now, but the main issue I have with it is the draw stroke. Hard to get a good grip on the gun to draw it, so that's why it's relegated to situational use. I carry my CW40 IWB 98% of the time, and I've just become used to carrying IWB that the gun feels invisible to me. I've never tried front pocket carry and I likely won't because I have other stuff that I carry in both my front pockets.

I have a CM9 that I pocket carry if I'm wearing jeans or other casual pants. It's a little too big for pocket carry in dress pants. Some of the places I work are gun unfriendly and I carry a bodyguard 380. I do carry the CM9 IWB with a drop holster that lets the gun ride low. If you have to tuck your shirt in and wear dress clothes, the 380 is the only thing I can carry that doesn't print.

My CW380 and my CM9 carry perfectly in Kydex IWB holsters -- for me, they are much easier to draw from than a jeans pocket. The CW380 just disappears in an IWB holster and it is so light I forget that I have it on. The Badger and CYA holsters clamp tightly over a 1 3/4 inch belt and keep the grip angle just where I want it. In the summer, with cargo shorts, pocket carry works fine.