Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Those Who’ve Switched from Pocket Carry to IWB (or vice versa)

During the summer, I prefer my PM9 carried in a shorts pocket with an AHolster. Love the design as it promotes a clean draw every time.

For IWB I like my Concealment Solutions Black Mamba CE worlds better than my Crossbreed (sold that one). From the cut of the leather to the clips to the superior kydex. Like how it covers more of the slide, love how it's welled slightly at the top to better receive while reholstering.

Unless you practice often with your way of carry, and unless you wear the correct clothing, any kind of draw besides OWB is slower. Period. I can guarantee, that for as long as I have been pocket carrying, I can draw faster than carrying IWB. When you carry front pocket 80% of the time, it becomes like another limb. IWB carry always needs material moved out of the way. Coat, Shirt, etc. Pocket carry, straight up and out. I even walk with a hand in the pocket, and most people think you're playing with your keys, or change. For someone standing and using an ankle rig, they have to bend down, and then straighten back up. That's not a "viable" option to me. Too slow. This is what I use for IWB. Tuckable, so you can at least move material out of the way a bit quicker. What ever you have tucked, sweatshirt, t shirt etc., it comes out smoothly. The holster is also very minimal in size, and has different depths of cover. Works for me, mostly when forced to wear dress clothes especially. Just something to think about. Everybody has their thing. You'll find it................................................ ......
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just discovered this morning that with a little tweaking my 1911 shoulder holster works with my PM45. I seldom use it since it mess's with my neck in short order. Must hit on a nerve or something. I'm trying it out today with the PM45, a little lighter and just one spare mag on the off side. Maybe the lighter weight will be more tolerable.

Should be good on the cooler days mowing the lawn, working in the garage etc. I normally just run the ankle holster since I generally just wear sweat pants nights and weekends. Always hated them when I was vertical but they are the ticket when your a full time sitter. Easier on and off and flexible.

I keep thinking I"m going back to proper britches and a belt full time but always revert back. When I need my knife etc most I don't have it since theres no belt.

If it was easy everyone would want to be a derelict.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I do take it out of my pocket when riding in the car, I wouldn't have to though because of comfort. Keep it between the seat and the console. Works great. East access. When I mow the lawn, I just go to an OWB rig. It's definitely to someone's advantage to have some/get used to different ways of carry. If it were my druthers, I would just open carry without cover. Problem being, some LE and regular citizenry just can't get by the open carry is legal thing............................................. ....................................

I pocket carried a highly modified Star Pony 380 for many years. It's a never perfect copy of the Sig P238, or vice versa actually, you've got thousands and thousands of practice "draws" reaching into your pants pocket. you'd be surprised, if you'll work at it, how fast it can be. You just can't wear crotch hugger pants, with nothing but watch pockets, that's all. Even sitting, you just lean to the left and straighten your leg. If you smell a rat, you have your hands in your pockets. Ditto if you're in a risky area. From that start, you can learn to react to the beep of the timer, draw and hit the chest (at "hand it over" range, in .60 second. .20 second of that is your reaction time. If you start FIRST, you have no reaction time, HE does. He's also got to recognize what you're doing, which takes at least another .20 second. If he's TOLD you to pull your hand out of your pocket, with your wallet, well, by the time he realizes what's in your hand, he should have a bullet up his nostril. You can also learn to side step as you do this, which makes him take at least yet another .20 second to move his gun/hand to your new location. From the retention position to an eye level, two handed point shot should take no more than another .15 second and that should let you reliably hit the chest at 10 ft.

A major advantage to the pocket rig is bad weather. A belt rig, you have to clear TWO covering garments, or else, when you go indoors and someone wants to take your coat, you have to act strangely and say you want to keep it. :-) with the pocket rig, you just palm the ensemble to the other pocket (before you leave or enter the building) A bit of velcro on the rig and inside of the coat pocket keeps it positioned as you want it. If have your hands outside of your pockets in cold weather, you'll have to wear gloves, which hurts your shooting (quite a bit) or you have to waste yet another 1/2 second getting rid of the glove. When driving, I just remove the pc from the pocket rig and stick it inside my waistband, under my shirt. If at a desk, it would be easy to put it into an attache case or locked drawer. Ditto if you're going to leave it in a bolted down vault in your car trunk. Nobody need see what you palmed as you opened the trunk lid. You can have a REAL gun in an IWB rig. Pocket guns belong in pocket holsters.

I've found that front pocket carry for my PM9 works well with 5:11 Stryke pants; you could fit a full grown house cat through the openings in them! https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwiiy4RFFUH/

I use a modified Alabama Holster with rubber cabinet liner added so the holster stays in the pocket when the gun comes out https://www.instagram.com/p/BwiivCDlB6w/

you could fit a full grown house cat through the openings in them!
    BwaHaHaHa! I know what pants to get if I ever need to sneak a cat anywhere! Great description!!!!

I don't understand the hoopla about Alabama pocket holsters. I have one for my Micro 9 and one for my LC9S - they print big time - it looks like you have a gun in your pocket! Am I doing something wrong? I didn't bother to order one for my PM9, I find the holsters that have a panel between the holster and the pocket work much better.

One of the things that make the C3 Tactical Solutions pocket holster better than an Alabama pocket holster is that you can order different length "hooks" on the C3.

This helps keep it from looking like a gun is in your pocket.

C3CM91.jpg

C3CM92.jpg

CM9inpocket.jpg

http://c3tacticalsolutions.com/minim...ocket-holster/

I carried appendix position for many years antil a month ago when my appendix finally gave up the ghost. I had chronic appendicitis for at least a year so every time I carried Id have a major pain flare up due to the added pressure on that area so I started to carry my CM9 in my left pocket in a desantis pocket tuk holster. I always carried my spare mag(s) in my left pocket so mentally that pocket always had a firearm related purpose. I didnt carry on right side hip except when I had to for classes, my left shoulder has issues due to previous injuries so sometimes when drawing gun from right side OWB/IWB holster my left shoulder seizes up. I also have a very small frame so the size of gun had to be small to aid concealability which also made it even harder to reach and draw.

Ive been carrying in pocket regularily and my draw times are getting better. Overall Im more comfortable with pocket carry. Ive also had to find another way to carry a spare mag which is a must with my CM9. I moved my spare mag from left pocket to clipped to my right pocket using a Ripcord spare mag holder which is made in my home state of Indiana and is very similar to the neomag holder but less pricy.

Bottom line is training both mind and body to know the position of your firearm/gear is key and everybody learns different so research ways to train even if their unorthodox. Good luck in your quest.