Tommy Gun   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr P9 Range Report.

Smile Kahr P9 Range Report.

As reported, I lost my Kahr virginity recently to a slightly used P9.

Finally had a chance to devote some range time. Have one seven rd mag with a Lakeline follower plus Pearce pinky rest and one seven rd mag as it came from the factory. Wanted to compare results between the two mags.

The prior owner claimed that the gun had approx. 250 rds shot thru it. The gun was dirty & dry. Cleaned it & lube/greased it before this range trip.

Results:

1) Happy as a clam to report that using 115gr FMJ ammo the gun sent 65 rds downrange without a hiccup of any kind. No need to test hollow points because FMJ is my carry preference.

2) No problems sling-shoting the slide forward using either mag. I did do my best not to ride-the-slide, however. The slide release is a bear to use on my P9 and could easily wear a groove in one's releasing finger.

3) The Lakeline mag follower does indeed do it's job keeping the rounds in line. The stock mag which I stuck into my pocket numerous times did take a top rd nose up attitude and it would have surely popped out given a little more pocket time. Once inserted into the gun, slide dropped, both mags ran flawlessly. Surprisingly, when shooting the stock mag I didn't find the need for an additional pinky rest.

4) I did my best with four rounds to limp-wrist the gun (kinda dangerous to do with such a short barreled lightweight gun) holding on lightly with only the right hand trigger finger and right thumb but the P9 cycled without fail. No more of that.

5) The mag release is too light for my taste. It needs a stiffer spring or bigger internal catch I think. One of the holsters that I have covers the trigger guard completely and the mag release. On two occasions the mag popped out from just the pressure of the holster -- not good! Another holster which does not cover the mag release didn't cause any problems. Is the light mag release a generic issue with Kahr P9s?

6) Accuracy was extremely good. I could hold a quite small group when concentrating. Shot from approx. 8 yrds -- a defensive range. The trigger system was easy to use. I have semi-auto and revolver experience so no big deal adjusting to the Kahr. I did try a couple of quick double taps and that will require more practice on my part because I got the shots off but the second shots were way off the group.

Conclusion: so far so good. Reliable light weight package that needs a mag release tweak. Will strip it down for a fluff & buff, install the second Lakeline mag follower, and take it back to the range for more fun. I like it!

The slide release being a bear is chambering a round or empty? It's designed to be rather hard to manipulate on an empty mag but shouldn't be too difficult with a round in the mag.

The mag release isn't generic to my knowledge. If it's making full engagement and not releasing prematurely a new spring might help with that.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    The slide release being a bear is chambering a round or empty? It's designed to be rather hard to manipulate on an empty mag but shouldn't be too difficult with a round in the mag.

The mag release isn't generic to my knowledge. If it's making full engagement and not releasing prematurely a new spring might help with that.

Bawanna:

Didn't mention that I'm kinda old and arthritic so hand strength is just one of the many gifts of youth that's fading. Slide release is very stiff both with and/or without a rd in the mag. Without a mag inserted in the gun the slide release is much lighter.

Couldn't determine how well the mags were locked onto the mag release in the field. Neither mag dropped out of the gun for any reason while I was shooting or handling the gun -- just while it was in that particular holster that I mentioned. The release button seams very softly sprung. When I have a chance this week to disassemble the gun I'll check down the grip frame with a light to observe the release and how well it protrudes into each of the mags. Both mags are Kahr and both "feel" the same locking/unlocking from the grip frame -- weak.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tony S45

I can’t see the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    I can’t see the gun.
    Cokeman: P9s all look alike. No need for a picture at this time.

When I get a new mag release spring from Kahr and possibly a mag release I'l attempt to take a close up picture of old vs. new and then try to figure out how to post the pics on this forum.

Some one had posted a picture of a old vs. new mag release many moons (no pun intended, Justin) ago on this forum but I can't find it anymore. Anyone recall where it is? Was there a change in design by Kahr of the mag release and if so when and which models does it effect?
    Last edited by Tony S45; 03-04-2018 at 04:14 PM.

That's like saying all pretty girls look alike, no need to see any more pictures.

I hear you on the slide release and old hands/thumbs. never have had a problem sling-shoting to load the first round on my PM9, CW45, nor the CT380 - although the last one is a bear to rack anyways.

The mag release on my PM9 was/is very light - similar to a hair trigger. Just never got around asking for a new spring or catch. But it never dropped prematurely while shooting.

Enjoyed reading your report and hope the gun continues to serve you well.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    That's like saying all pretty girls look alike, no need to see any more pictures.

I hear you on the slide release and old hands/thumbs. never have had a problem sling-shoting to load the first round on my PM9, CW45, nor the CT380 - although the last one is a bear to rack anyways.

The mag release on my PM9 was/is very light - similar to a hair trigger. Just never got around asking for a new spring or catch. But it never dropped prematurely while shooting.

Enjoyed reading your report and hope the gun continues to serve you well.

No way, Armybrat! Post all the pictures of pretty girls that you have. I may be aging but I'm not dead yet. Guns are different.

Sent an email to Kahr Customer Service for a new mag catch & mag catch spring. Will post my repair when it's completed. I can't carry this P9 until I know it's 100% reliable and retaining it's mag is essential.

One of my favorite lines from Lonesome Dove is from Capt. Call who received a ribbing from Gus about his worn shirt: "I don't give up on a garment just because it's showing a little age", replied Call.
    Last edited by Tony S45; 03-04-2018 at 04:15 PM.

LD is the best cowboy film of all time and one of the most authentic, IMO. Of course am a little biased as it has so much to do with Texas.
    Robert Duval gave the best performance of a Texan by a non-Texan ever. As opposed to Travolta in Urban Cowboy - the pretty silly flick about drugstore cowboys (of which there are plenty in this state). I say that as a city boy myself.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    LD is the best cowboy film of all time and one of the most authentic, IMO. Robert Duval gave the best performance of a Texan by a non-Texan ever.

Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony S45 View Post
    Cokeman: P9s all look alike. No need for a picture at this time.

When I get a new mag release spring from Kahr and possibly a mag release I'l attempt to take a close up picture of old vs. new and then try to figure out how to post the pics on this forum.

Some one had posted a picture of a old vs. new mag release many moons (no pun intended, Justin) ago on this forum but I can't find it anymore. Anyone recall where it is? Was there a change in design by Kahr of the mag release and if so when and which models does it effect?
    There was a polymer mag (which had a metal insert) catch on my CW9 (circa 2006) and I suspect it was on other poly framel 9mm Kahrs from that period.
    The poly catch:

My CW45 (2010) came with the all steel catch found on current "C" and "P" series Kaahr pistols.

FWIW, I'm of the mind that any holster that can depress a magazine catch at all is a holster I would be modifying or staying a way from.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>