CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striker not resetting after firing ?

Default Striker not resetting after firing ?

My brother and I recently purchased 3 Kahrs. He a PM45, & I a PM9 & P380. My PM9 ran flawlessly for 250 rounds. My brothers PM45 ran fine using the 5 round Mags but persistent jamming with the 6 rounder. While checking to find the problem I noticed the striker was out while trying to chamber a round, causing the base of the shell the jam under it & the mouth of the chamber. Fast forward 2 days. My P380 Came in. As with both other guns, I did all the recommended pre-prep before starting the breaking. I could understand this problem with 1 gun, but 2 doing the same thing! Has anyone had this problem? I am totally baffled 😯

It is normal for the striker to protrude during the slide cycle to the rear but it will be pulled back during the forward motion and should not be visible as a new round is chambered. Otherwise a Kahr would have a tendency for "slam fire" incidents. They do not. The only problem may be with the 6 round mag.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

If you dry fire the 380 and then attempt to feed a round, the firing pin does not usually “have enough time” to retract and will cause this problem. I just cycle the slide by hand first or turn over the pistol and pull the foot of the striker back. Try it and you’ll see. I have a CM45 but have not noticed the same issue.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

I talked with a service tech. at Kahr and explained in detail what the PM45 was doing and he said to send it to them to be checked out. As far as it retracting during the cycle forward, it is not in both the 380 & 45, causing the round to jam.

Quote Originally Posted by SKSears View Post
    I talked with a service tech. at Kahr and explained in detail what the PM45 was doing and he said to send it to them to be checked out. As far as it retracting during the cycle forward, it is not in both the 380 & 45, causing the round to jam.
    How are you verifying this? I ask because if you are checking after the striker has been released the tip will be visible as the striker's tab/sear surface is ahead of the cocking cam. Cycling the slide fully will put the striker tab behind the cocking cam and the cam will hold the striker as the slide continues to move forward. Just before the slide is in battery, it will come to a point where the striker tip should be just below flush with the breech face.

Have you checked if the spring in the 6 round magazine is correctly oriented with the follower?

Regards,
    Greg

BTW, welcome to the forums
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Greg, I’ll try an explain this as best I can. After firing the last round in the magazine, the slide travels to the rear & locks back. At this point the striker to protruding from the breach face. After removing the empty mag and replacing with a loaded mag and releasing the slide release ,the slide moves forward stripping a round from the mag and it jams between the top of the chamber and the bottom of the striker that is protruding from the slide. I’m not sure at what point the striker resets after firing, dry or live fire. I hope that clears things up as far as what is happening.This same situation is happening with both PM45 & P380. All mag springs are correct. I removed and cleaned before starting the breakin cycle.

OK, thanks for the follow up.
    Might I suggest dry firing the pistols and locking the slides back, then look to see if the strikers are protruding from the breech face. If they are, give then a push back into their hole. It should take very little effort to do this. Otherwise, I would disassemble the slide and give the components a good cleaning (especially the striker channel) then reassemble (no lube on the striker parts) and see if the issue persists.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Greg, I did not try pushing the striker back in but I did turn the gun over and pulled it back by the tab below the slide.with the P380, I just dry fired and pulled the slide to the rear locking it back and the striker is protruding from the breach face. Is this correct? It is hard to see but appears to be retracting upon release and going forward into battery.

Greg, as far as my brothers PM45, after the jamming started I did completely break the slide down and clean, leaving striker channel dry , reassembled & lubed at recommended points ,fired the gun with the same problem. Have you heard of anyone else having this problem?

Greg, I did not try pushing the striker back in but I did turn the gun over and pulled it back by the tab below the slide.with the P380, I just dry fired and pulled the slide to the rear locking it back and the striker is protruding from the breach face. Is this correct? It is hard to see but appears to be retracting upon release and going forward into battery.
    No, that's not correct, but did you push the striker block in while pulling the tab back?

Greg, as far as my brothers PM45, after the jamming started I did completely break the slide down and clean, leaving striker channel dry , reassembled & lubed at recommended points ,fired the gun with the same problem. Have you heard of anyone else having this problem?
    There have been some folks in the past that posted this happening (mainly with 380?). If I remember right some were fixed with a cleaning and some by reshaping the striker tip a bit. I also believe some were returned for repair.

On a side note, I think it might be possible that the extractor is holding the incoming round so tightly that it has no wiggle room so that when it hits the striker tip it stops instead of rocking over it and pushing the tip back in the slide (there should be nothing holding the striker forward at this point other than friction from the fit of the parts).
    I think this mod to fix feeding issues on the 380s might help in this regards: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...tery-on-CW-380

Regards,
    Greg