Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: What is short barrel ammo?

Default What is short barrel ammo?

99 % of my shooting is with my reloads. Every couple years I get a couple boxes of 124 gr Gold Dot for carry.

I see now they have regular and short barrel. Any experience with short barrel? I am assuming my PM 9 would be considered short barrel. I have not had any trouble with regular unless Speer changed something.

I think Wynn has used the short barrel ammo at least to some extent. I've never tried it myself, I usually shoot reloads as well and my carry stuff isn't short barrel.
    I think the theory on it is to reduce the amount of unburned powder exiting the barrel on firing, thus reducing the muzzle flash.

Probably a faster burning or somewhat reduced charge or combination of both.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I think they use a faster burning powder to get the same velocity out of a 3" barrel as out of the 4.5 or 5-inch barrel so that the bullet will expand as designed... supposedly, anyhow.
    After the Lucky Gunner testing, https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/ I picked all new defense ammo based on their testing with regard to the best expansion and uniform and sufficient penetration. I click on the expansion column to put the greatest expansions first and then looked at the penetration for sufficiency and consistency.

And, in my wife's G43 I also wanted non +P. I couldn't find the Winchester 147-gr RangerT and the first one I found(at Wal-Mart, too) was the Federal 150-gr Micro HST. I finally found the PNW Arms 115-gr TAC Ops SCHP(Solid Copper Hollow Point). So we have both of those in quantity.

I was carrying Gold Dot Short Barrel in 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP, and Underwood +P Gold Dots. I still carry with the latter... the extra velocity should push the Gold Dot enough for good expansion and more penetration out of my P380. It's topping 1,100 fps and beats the +P 135-gr Short Barrel Gold Dot out of a snubby .38 for velocity, muzzle energy, and penetration.

My picks from the testing, based on availability:
    9mm standard for Wifey's G43:
    Federal 150-grain Micro HST
    PNW Arms 115-gr TAC Ops SCHP(Solid Copper Hollow Point)
    I still have over a case of Speer 124-gr GDSB +P, for myself, as well as the ones for her.

.40 S&W, Remington had the top three spots with 180-grain Golden Sabers:
    Remington 180-gr Golden Saber (my normal carry ammo now)
    Remington 180-gr Ultimate Defense
    Remington 180-gr Golden Saber Bonded (I was using GDSB and still have some)

.45 ACP:
    The 230-gr Ranger-T's had identical test results, but I went with the non +P or standard,
    Winchester 230-grain Ranger-T(like +P! Bought a case... LE ammo)
    Remington 230-grain Bonded Golden Sabers (I have a bunch!)

These choices were based mainly on Lucky Gunner testing for concealed carry pistols and I added my own requirements, so there are many choices.

I carry the Kahrs, but have 9mm, .40S&W and several .45 Glocks for more capacity, as needed.

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Short barrel ammo changes 2 things, 1) It uses a faster burning powder to get the bullet moving quicker to get as much speed as possible before it exits the short barrel. 2) The hollow point Gold Dot bullet has a deeper hollow area to get expansion started faster at a slower speed because the bullet is not traveling as fast as it would in a longer barrel. If you can still get the Gold Dot short barrel as a reloading bullet it will be better for your use in a short barrel gun. However, if you are loading your reloads to max velocity the regular gold dot will work perfectly fine but will not expand quite as much as the Short Barrel bullet. Those are the 2 differences.

Edit: I was typing my post as Wyntrout was posting his, so I had not read his when I posted mine.

Yes. You're correct. I forgot to mention that. It's most noticeable in the .40 S&W and the .45 ACP. The cavities are very different... wider at the base and shallower. I posted pictures of the differences several times.

In the picture, from left to right in the top up row, the Short Barrel 230-gr .45 ACP and next or in the middle is the standard 230-gr GD with a deeper cone-shaped cavity. The Bonded Golden Saber can be identified by the green primer sealant, not present on regular GS.

The .40 S&W is similarly different.

Edited at 14:14!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".