CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PM45 Failure to Feed Problems

If the mag is seated and slide locked back AND the stripper is on top of the round the slide is not retracting fare enough. The beveled front edge should be there, it's not a large bevel just not a sharp 90 edge. The non bevel affected the early models.

Remove a mag spring and install the mag, does it seat properly?
    Load 2 rounds in a mag and test it, try 4 rounds.
    Problems with multiple mags is perplexing.

Wost case you'll have to sell it to me. I'm down to one pm45.

Quote Originally Posted by DJK11 View Post
    If the mag is seated and slide locked back AND the stripper is on top of the round the slide is not retracting fare enough. The beveled front edge should be there, it's not a large bevel just not a sharp 90 edge. The non bevel affected the early models.

Remove a mag spring and install the mag, does it seat properly?
    Load 2 rounds in a mag and test it, try 4 rounds.
    Problems with multiple mags is perplexing.

Wost case you'll have to sell it to me. I'm down to one pm45.
    I just might sell it to you. My hand is still numb and tingling from shooting it. It might not be the right gun for me.

Maybe Kahr has someone in CS that knows how to examine the gun, test fire it, observe, see things first hand, fix it, and verify the fix with more firing?

I got my PM45 back yesterday from Kahr and took it to the range today. The work order said they replaced the striker spacer. BTW, when I spoke to customer service on the phone, I was told that I had to pay postage to send it in. However, when I filled out the online work order request, a label was emailed to me. So Kahr paid shipping both ways.

I shot 150 rounds of 230g ball: 50 rounds Blazer Brass, 50 rounds mix of BB, WWB, Sig, and Federal, and 50 rounds of Perfecta (that's what they had at the range). The gun doesn't like Winchester so I'm done with that. It chewed thru the other brands quite well. It's a significant improvement.

I did have 4 or 5 failure to feed when chambering a full 5 rd mag. As DJK11 said, that first bullet is tricky. And sometimes, no matter how hard I seat the magazine, the rim of the case is underneath the stripper instead of in front of it. However, once the first round is chambered there were no further FTF or FTE while shooting. Also, if I put one round in the mag, drop the slide, then load up 5 full rounds, I have no issues.

I didn't test the 6 rd mag because I couldn't find it. I'll ask Kahr about a replacement magazine. All in all, it's a major improvement.

If your finding rounds under the stripper instead of in front, I'd bevel that leading edge a bit if it isn't already or a bit more if it is a little bit.

That was common for awhile but that was long ago. Easy to do, takes very little time.

At slide lock the slide just isn't quite far enough back to pick up the round. A proper sling shot with full rearward travel would get r dun, just like actual firing.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    If your finding rounds under the stripper instead of in front, I'd bevel that leading edge a bit if it isn't already or a bit more if it is a little bit.

That was common for awhile but that was long ago. Easy to do, takes very little time.

At slide lock the slide just isn't quite far enough back to pick up the round. A proper sling shot with full rearward travel would get r dun, just like actual firing.

You know infinitely more about Kahr than I do, but in the owner's manual they recommend using the slide release to chamber the first round of a magazine. I would think therefor that the round should be picked up? I might be missing though? I'm only curious to understand more, not trying to say that you're wrong.

Your right in that Kahr recommends using the slide stop BUT for awhile they neglected to bevel the front of that stripper. Many weren't beveled at all.

This gave what came to be know and the Wyntrout crunch tick where the round was stuck under the stripper and wouldn't pick up.

Lock your slide back and load a mag with a round or two in. See if it goes right in front of the stripper or stays under.

When a proper slingshot is performed the slide actually goes back a bit more than the slide lock position. This usually allows it to pick up the round but back when they neglected the bevel it sometimes didn't work even then.

Kahr recommends the slide stop method because many many folks short stroke the sling shot. They are stiff and make a sling shot difficult for many.

The slide stop is easier. I generally do that but all my Kahrs (3, big collection) would sling shot right out of the box.

In summary to this dictionary length monologue, beveling that stripper (doesn't take much) just gives you a little more edge.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yes, I read about the beveling in the sticky. I'm a little hesitant to do it myself. I wish there was an actual write-up or how-to- video as opposed to just the before and after pic. Maybe its time for a trip to the gunsmith.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by NWKahrguy View Post
    Yes, I read about the beveling in the sticky. I'm a little hesitant to do it myself. I wish there was an actual write-up or how-to- video as opposed to just the before and after pic. Maybe its time for a trip to the gunsmith.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.
    From what I wrote in the sticky:
    " I slightly changed the angle that the slide is beveled to where the rim of the round contacts it.
    In the photo below, I stoned the bevel so that the tailing edge of it is moved further rearward (red arrow). I did not change the starting point of the bevel (green line)"

To re-enact that
    My slide had only a slight, narrow bevel. The case rim could still sit on the flat part behind bevel.

I widened the bevel by changing it's angle. I did this with a diamond stone/file, but a regular file will probably do.

I did not alter where the bevel started in regards to the breach face on my gun, but upon reflection I think it's only critical that you do not go up(down?) the breech face so far that the rail cannot strip rounds from the magazine.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thank you Greg. I took the pistol apart last night, and I can see that the edge of the stripper is goobered, probably from inserting the mags with such force. I don't feel too nervous to take a file to it now.

I took it out today for a little more trigger time. I had found the 6 rd mag last night and it was full with Sig ball ammo. So I shot that first and had a FTE on the fourth round. I then shot a box of Federal with no malfunctions. I shot a box of Remington UMC with no malfunctions but I did have a faulty round. I pulled the trigger, and the sound was muffled, almost no recoil, the casing ejected down range of the muzzle, and the slide didn't lock back (it was the last round in the mag). At first I thought it was a squib, but the bullet did clear the muzzle.

Things are getting better, and I'm really liking this pistol. I should also mention that I've shot 3.5 boxes of hollow points with zero issues (even when I first got the gun). Its so easy to carry. I also tried the slingshot method per Bawanna's recommendation, and had no issues.