Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new

Thread: TX - Any Kahr Users behind the Pine Curtain in E. TX?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Howdy, in Central Texas .

Welcome, from N.Texas!

You will not regret your purchase. Follow the instructions in the forum sticky’s for correctly breaking in the gun. One key helpful step is hand-racking the thing 400+ times. The gun parts need to “mate”, like breaking in a new car (no pun intended). One key reason for this is that the barrel and the slide stop need to wear some metal away, where needed. This became very apparent with my recent CT380 Tungsten Ceracote. That is the tightest new gun I have ever racked. That really thin layer of ceracote really tightened everything up. With 150 rounds through the gun, so far, it still needs another 150. Due to recent surgeries, the gun was too tight for me to perform the hand-racking as many times as it needed. What I noticed with the ceracote, is where the gun parts rub, because after 150 rounds, the ceracote has rubbed away on the slide stop “rod”, where the barrel lug rides over it. When you hand-rack, you know that little “clunk” you feel right before the slide completes its last 1/4” of forward travel? That is the feel of that kidney-shaped hole underneath the barrel rubbing against the slide stop “rod”. The more you rack it, or shoot it, the smoother that last 1/4” of travel gets.

You can spend a lot of money breaking the gun in with ammo, or you can save yourself a lot of money by hand-racking 400-500 times first, and wiping-down the slide stop rod and that barrel-lug “kidney-shaped hole” with an oiled q-tip or cloth barrel patch.

After doing that for my P380, it eats everything except Perfecta.

After doing that for my CT9, it eats everything without a hiccup. The first night we shot it, we ran 400 rounds of 8 different brands of ammo through it. I’m hoping for the same experience for you.

Again, welcome!

-Wlf

I read an article in American Rifleman magazine, dated 29 Jan. 2018 that evaluated the new S9. In the article it stated that Kahr had reduced the break-in time for the S - series pistols by using a hydraulic actuated fixture, that cycled each gun ass'y hundreds of times before final inspection and shipping. This is supposed to wear in the slide and all related parts to cut down on break in time in the field. I am looking forward to trying out my new S9. I'll let you guys know how it runs out.