Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun

Thread: Firing Pin Plunger Essential?

Default Firing Pin Plunger Essential?

Hi,
    I recently purchased a near new s/hand 1911A1 Auto Ordinance .45acp and the firing pin plunger and spring was removed from the slide and the plunger lever is still installed in the frame.
    Should I buy a plunger lever spacer
    from Brownells

to replace the lever with the same thickness spacer before I use the Gun or just use it with the standard plunger lever without replacing the firing pin plunger and spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyDP View Post
    Hi,
    I recently purchased a near new s/hand 1911A1 Auto Ordinance .45acp and the firing pin plunger and spring was removed from the slide and the plunger lever is still installed in the frame.
    Should I buy a plunger lever spacer
    from Brownells

to replace the lever with the same thickness spacer before I use the Gun or just use it with the standard plunger lever without replacing the firing pin plunger and spring?

You can use it as is or install the spacer.
    The spacer is, IMO, a cleaner look than leaving the two levers in place. I found the spacer makes reassembly a touch easier as well.

Though I have tried the spacer in some of my pistols, I now feel no need to remove the firing pin safety from my 1911 style pistols that have it, so I'd probably put a plunger and spring back in the slide if it were mine.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    You can use it as is or install the spacer.
    The spacer is, IMO, a cleaner look than leaving the two levers in place. I found the spacer makes reassembly a touch easier as well.

Though I have tried the spacer in some of my pistols, I now feel no need to remove the firing pin safety from my 1911 style pistols that have it, so I'd probably put a plunger and spring back in the slide if it were mine.

Regards,
    Greg
    Thanks Greg, I appreciate your feedback and advice.

Kind regards,
    SkippyDP