Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace

Thread: Recoil Spring Difference.

Default Recoil Spring Difference.

Just received my new "type 2" recoil Spring from Kahr for my older 2008 PM9 and there is quite a size difference in the outer spring length, not to mention a chore to now get it installed. Is this normal?

New is on top, old on bottom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes. The number of coils is the same.

Take any recoil spring and take it out after a week or so and compare to new and it will be shorter.

Just takes a set. And yes it's a pain for a bit to install. If it was easy it would defeat the whole purpose of replacing it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Count the number of coils on the spring.

They sent you the wrong spring. They did that to me on my Type 1 RSA as well.

My PM9 was also made in 2008, but it has a 3/8" rear flange (Type 1). Type 2 has a 1/2" rear flange. Both Type 1 and Type 2 use a 13 coil outer spring.

The longer spring wouldn't allow my slide to lock back. The 15 coil spring is for the new Type 3 RSA.

2 options - cut the 15 coil spring down to 13 coils, or buy a new spring direct from Wolff Gun Springs. They only sell the older 13 coil outer springs for the older "blunt nose" PM series Kahrs.

The slide on the older style PM9 is shorter than the new PM9 - hence the 13 coil vs 15 coil outer spring. The 15 coil spring is just too long when compressed to fit in the gun properly. It's not gonna be able to compress enough to function properly no matter how much it shortens through use.

I cut mine down to 13 coils, and it now works fine with almost 1000 rounds through it. I also ordered a couple extra springs from Wolff as well - they're like $8 for a set of inner/outer springs. Wolff also includes a stock striker spring in the set.

PM9 recoil assembly.jpg

Thanks Bawana, should have counted the coils first

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Count the number of coils on the spring.

They sent you the wrong spring. They did that to me on my Type 1 RSA as well.

My PM9 was also made in 2008, but it has a 3/8" rear flange (Type 1). Type 2 has a 1/2" rear flange. Both Type 1 and Type 2 use a 13 coil outer spring.

The longer spring wouldn't allow my slide to lock back. The 15 coil spring is for the new Type 3 RSA.

2 options - cut the 15 coil spring down to 13 coils, or buy a new spring direct from Wolff Gun Springs. They only sell the older 13 coil outer springs for the older "blunt nose" PM series Kahrs.

The slide on the older style PM9 is shorter than the new PM9 - hence the 13 coil vs 15 coil outer spring. The 15 coil spring is just too long when compressed to fit in the gun properly. It's not gonna be able to compress enough to function properly no matter how much it shortens through use.

I cut mine down to 13 coils, and it now works fine with almost 1000 rounds through it. I also ordered a couple extra springs from Wolff as well - they're like $8 for a set of inner/outer springs. Wolff also includes a stock striker spring in the set.

PM9 recoil assembly.jpg
    Thanks Ed M, I measured the real flange and it was the 1/2 inch so i ordered the type 2. And with the new spring, the slide will nor fully rack back ane let me lock it open, will not lock open on an empty mag. Not sure if I should put the old one in for now, or just cut 1 coil off?

It's never gonna work with that 15 coil outer spring now matter how much it shortens. It's fully collapsed when the slide is locked back. Just too long.

You could try cutting off a half coil at a time until it functions OK, but I just cut mine down to the correct number of coils the first time. Works perfectly now.

That spring is made from some REALLY hard wire. It took a big ol' pair of linemans pliers to cut that little rascal. I took a jewelers file to the cut end to smooth it out so it doesn't chew up the inside of the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    It's never gonna work with that 15 coil outer spring now matter how much it shortens. It's fully collapsed when the slide is locked back. Just too long.

You could try cutting off a half coil at a time until it functions OK, but I just cut mine down to the correct number of coils the first time. Works perfectly now.

That spring is made from some REALLY hard wire. It took a big ol' pair of linemans pliers to cut that little rascal. I took a jewelers file to the cut end to smooth it out so it doesn't chew up the inside of the slide.

Think I will just order a few from Wolff - Thanks

Good move.

The correct factory power spring is SKU # 52818.

https://www.gunsprings.com/KAHR%20AR...1/mID29/dID340