CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No more Kahr for me

Default No more Kahr for me

The recoil spring has finally whipped me. I'm tired of wrestling with it to take down and put back together. I took it down earlier today for cleaning and had a terrible time taking it down and putting it together. Later I thought I would try a different approach with no luck. In fact, I gave up taking it down that time. I've had the CM9 for 3 or more years and have fired a few thousand rounds thru it. If anything, takedown has gotten worse. The slide stop or takedown lever is next to impossible to remove (yes, I'm lining up witness marks) and to replace.

Since break in, the pistol has been 100% reliable and accurate. But the difficult take down and reassembly has turned me against it big time.

Sorry for the rant but I've had enough of Kahr.

Joe

I accept POS Kahr.
    Please pm me for shipping details
    My New Web Store!
    www.teampython.com
    __________________________________________________ _____
    The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”

What will you take for it? I can properly dispose of Kahr pistols. I can provide the information to my FFL, unless you're in Indiana...then we can meet.

Joe, try this to get the lever out: Put a sewing thimble on the finger you will use to push it out from the other side of the lever. When you get the marks lined up, push it out with the thimble on your finger until it is flush with the slide. Once it gets flush with the slide, it is easy to pull it out from the other side. You can start pushing the lever before the marks are lined up and it will release when you pass the marks. As an alternate to the thimble you can use anything flat to do it. The thimble eliminates needing a "third" hand.
    Another way it to hold the gun in both hands to align the marks and then press the back side of the lever down on the corner of your counter top or table to flush with the slide. after you get to that point, the lever is easy to pull out from the other side..

I just take a soft face little hammer I keep on the bench, line things up, give it just a tap to pop loose and your away and running.
    Don't know why there would be any issue putting it back together.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I stopped using the witness marks and now visually line up the notch and tab.
    I also lube the take down pin.

The take down pin is now both easier to remove and install. I loosen the #6 torx screw slightly and it made a world of difference. I still need to use a short piece of closet rod in my vise to press the slide stop pin or take down pin against.

I hope backing off of torx screw a small amount doesn’t lead to other problems.

Thanks for the suggestions

Joe

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Are you saying your staying with Kahr a while longer or ?? The CM9's are not on the "approved" list here in California, but if you happen to live in California and want to sell let me know!
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Not in California.

I am surprised to hear of any difficulty removing the takedown pin on a polymer Kahr. All of my "P" Kahr have been easily popped apart with finger pressure. I never owned a small model though as all of mine have been medium or large. I guess there's a design difference. Even the T9 is very easy to dismantle. The K9 on the other hand is a different animal. Different method, different spring... that needs a tool to snap the pin out. I use a mag base to push on the pin of my K9.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.