CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No more Kahr for me

I am surprised also. All of these suggestions are good and I want to add another. Kahr sells a plastic "takedown block" (https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/ca...4-8137eb92d449) for their K series guns. It inserts into the chamber and holds the slide open to exactly where the pin is removable, with no muscular strain. I have one and it works well, but any wedge shaped object of the proper width would work. A plastic pen or something whittled that could be inserted and adjusted would be fine. Once held properly, just press or tap on the right side of the pin. While it is out, you might polish the right surface of the pin. In my experience, once removed and inserted a few times it can be easily done by hand.

I got the block when I had a K9, but just trying what's at hand, the large Sharpie pens worked real well, too.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I have a CW40 that had me at about the same point regarding the recoil spring while field stripping. Without a captured spring I couldn't get the thing compressed enough...until I used a small dowel rod of the same diameter as the guide rod. I insert it through the slide until it touches the guide rod and then compress the spring. It keeps the spring from going all "slinky" on me and I can now easily field strip and re-assemble the little beasty. The short dowel is now marked and stored in the range bag. Wish they'd made it captured but then I wish they'd made the recoil equal to a 22LR...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. View Post
    The take down pin is now both easier to remove and install. I loosen the #6 torx screw slightly and it made a world of difference. I still need to use a short piece of closet rod in my vise to press the slide stop pin or take down pin against.
    I hope backing off of torx screw a small amount doesn’t lead to other problems.
    Thanks for the suggestions
    Joe
    If you're not having any problem with "last round hold open" then I think everything's ok. The end of that spring also pushes upward on the slide stop. If you make it too loose, the slide may not hold open after the last round. But there's a happy medium and you only backed off a little.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

A cheap tool to hold the slide open to the witness marks is a chop stick from a Chinese restaurant....They are tapered and wood so it won't scratch the finish and all you have to do is pull the slide open to just past the witness mark and slide it in from the top of the slide the amount you need and release the slide slowly and presto, you one have both hands to remove the slide release....I use a plastic screw driver handle to tap mine out enough to grab it and pull it out the rest of the way with my fingers....Every time we go eat Chinese I get a few and now have a bunch in my cleaning box...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
    Are you saying your staying with Kahr a while longer or ?? The CM9's are not on the "approved" list here in California, but if you happen to live in California and want to sell let me know!
    What does California have against Kahr?

Also I nought this gizmo called the EZracker a plastic block that fits over the slide. Makes holding the slide easy.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Quote Originally Posted by DM123 View Post
    What does California have against Kahr?
    Nothing personal, California just hates all guns, and anything else that people might enjoy.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

I want to add that after backing off torx screw, fashioning a hold open devise, and placing a short piece of closet rod in my vise, takedown is a lot easier.

Thanks for the suggestions. And no, my cm9 is not for sale.

I need to use the mag base on my ST9.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. View Post
    The recoil spring has finally whipped me. I'm tired of wrestling with it to take down and put back together. I took it down earlier today for cleaning and had a terrible time taking it down and putting it together. Later I thought I would try a different approach with no luck. In fact, I gave up taking it down that time. I've had the CM9 for 3 or more years and have fired a few thousand rounds thru it. If anything, takedown has gotten worse. The slide stop or takedown lever is next to impossible to remove (yes, I'm lining up witness marks) and to replace.

Since break in, the pistol has been 100% reliable and accurate. But the difficult take down and reassembly has turned me against it big time.

Sorry for the rant but I've had enough of Kahr.

Joe
    LOL, and that is ALL you are caring about? Geesh.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up