Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new member. CW380 enroute. my 1st Kahr. here for information

Default new member. CW380 enroute. my 1st Kahr. here for information

got a cw380
    I joined this forum to get info on the proper feeding and care for this little firearm

Welcome Mike. Start here-http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?1521-Proper-prep-of-a-new-kahr

Some of the stuff is really not needed anymore as Kahr has worked out most of the bugs.

I'd just give it a look over, clean and lube it and go shoot it.

Use good ball ammo and things should run just fine. Basically like any other new gun.

Let us know how it goes.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

thanks. haven't shot .380 in a while. Ball ammo is what I normally use to loosen the gun up. What wally world brand and grain do you guys recommend?

Oh dear lord, I hope I dont have these kind of problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh5IpHEB3uU

Oh dear lord, I hope I dont have these kind of problems. Got one arriving in three days. 200 rds minimum break in? thats approx $80 worth of ammo $200 for 500 rds. a $300 gun + $200 ammo cost to break in = a good used HK or Beretta 80 series or 92 that will work. I dunno..I just sold a PPS and a G26 that ate everything fed. only to downsize to this......we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebxb View Post
    thanks. haven't shot .380 in a while. Ball ammo is what I normally use to loosen the gun up. What wally world brand and grain do you guys recommend?
    You pretty much addressed your own last post here. Every gun needs or deserves a break in period. None of mine have needed it, but they get several hundred just to get acquainted rounds fired before they earn a place on the carry rotation.
    I know people who buy a gun and carry the thing before they even shoot it. No clue where it hits or if it even works. Not me.

Kahr is just honest about the need to break it in. They want to give it a chance if there are issues to work itself out before sending it back.
    Certainly most won't need it.

I have no experience with the 380's but have had no issues with 9, 40 and 45 Kahrs.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Kahr recommends using domestic made ammo.

Kahrs are made to SAAMI specs, and have very tight tolerances.

Some of the ammo in that video is not made in the US. Their ammo is NOT made to SAAMI specs.

A known offender that often gives Kahr 380s fits is Perfecta ammo. It is made by Fiocchi in Italy. The case rim is a bit thicker than that of ammo made to SAAMI specs, and it doesn't fit well between the breach face and the extractor claw.
    This produces failure to feeds, and failure to go into battery when you attempt to chamber a round. The root cause is too much extractor tension, combined with out of spec ammo.

There are a couple of fixes that help with this problem in the CW sub-forum, but the easiest solution is to just follow Kahr's recommendation on ammo.
    You can also send the gun back to Kahr for the extractor fix as well.

I did the extractor fix(es) myself on my CW380s and my P380, and they now work 100% with cheap Perfecta ammo. They worked 100% with quality US made ammo right out of the box though.

Avoid Perfecta and Fiocchi FMJ and you'll probably be fine. Some good domestic ammo examples are Federal American Eagle and Blazer Brass. A good foreign brand made to SAAMI specs is PMC Bronze. Lots of folks report good results with that Sig ammo as well.
    Federal Champion brass case has also worked well for me, and Wally World carries it. Winchester white box also worked well for me, but the flat tip bullet sometimes causes feed issues in some Kahr 380s.
    I'd also avoid aluminum or steel cased ammo - stick to brass cased, round nose ammo.

A common self defense round that seems to work well in most Kahr 380s is Hornady Critical Defense.

ED M
    Thanks. SAAMI specs gives me some parameters to start with. I'm not one of those buy & not train with a new firearm. and for every bad video theres a good video on this little shooter. In my research I don't mind the staked in front sight as much as the extremely minimal amount of steel rail on the frame. Are all Kahrs like that?

All polymer frame Kahrs are like that.

BUT......there's actually more stainless rail area than on a Glock. The front rails inside the dust cover mate up with slots on the bottom front of the slide.

So, you not only have the 2 small blocks of stainless built in to the rear of the frame, you have the long rails up front.

Those front rails are actually a one piece insert that wraps completely around the dust cover, and are molded into the polymer.

Don't worry - it's a very rugged design, and holds up for many thousands of rounds. Never heard of anyone wearing a Kahr out from shooting lots of rounds...

Hello and welcome