Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 80

Thread: The barrels - what IS the real deal?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Pensacola, Fl
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Do I need to create a demilitarized zone for you two? Be kind to bawanna and cut us some slack.

    My immense leader is making me do incredibly stupid worthless stuff today, worse than normal and I don't need this kind of abuse ya know?
    What? he's the one following me around. I can't help that.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Pensacola, Fl
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahrbrian View Post
    This, and from reviews of actual Kah pistols and owners, there is really no difference.

    Do you really think a guy from a premium barrel manufacturer wonít tell you that they make a difference?
    OK, well, if you don't believe , then I can't help you. Agnostics want God to physically touch them or else they won't believe.I don't need that. I have faith. I guess if one carries a pistol for 40 yrs and never shoot it, then it doesn't matter what barrel is in there, but folks who shoot alot , wants the best parts they can get, in their guns. There's alot of folks who'll say that MIMS parts are ok (Kahr), but I disagree with that. I have seem broken MIMS parts under a microscope and have seen the bubbles and debris and uneven tempering, etc. Fine, you carry a gun with a plain barrel and MIMS parts and I won't begrudge you, but let me carry mine with a match grade barrel and forged or milled parts, ok? There's folks that say a Jennings or Hi point is just fine. OK, they can have it, but not me. There's folks that say 440 stamped for a knife is ok, fine , they can buy $10 knives all day long. For me, my knives are D2 and forged. They both will cut, so who cares? I do. Some folks will say that Black and Decker tools are just fine and Harbor Freight is the best place to buy tools. I've been in Construction for over 30 yrs and won't own anything but Dewalt and my chainsaw is a Stihl. IF you ask me for evidence, all can tell you is my own 30 yrs of experience. I used every kind and had most fail on me, I've never had a Dewalt fail on me. That's all I need. If the top shooters in the World say a match grade barrel is superior, I believe it. Each to his own. YMMV.

  3. #43

    Default

    My point is belief SHOULD be based on evidence. There is no evidence shown that the "match grade barrel" in a Kahr delivers noticeable difference in performance - accuracy or longevity. It might be easier to clean. But in a 4" or less barrel, there is no evident difference - I believe there is enough evidence of that right here in this thread.

    Lets compare barrels to barrels, and not get side-tracked on MIM vs. forged/milled.

    I just don't think people ought to 'get hooked' on the 'match grade' moniker, and pass up a good gun that shoots just as well.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Pensacola, Fl
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kahrbrian View Post
    My point is belief SHOULD be based on evidence. There is no evidence shown that the "match grade barrel" in a Kahr delivers noticeable difference in performance - accuracy or longevity. It might be easier to clean. But in a 4" or less barrel, there is no evident difference - I believe there is enough evidence of that right here in this thread.

    Lets compare barrels to barrels, and not get side-tracked on MIM vs. forged/milled.

    I just don't think people ought to 'get hooked' on the 'match grade' moniker, and pass up a good gun that shoots just as well.
    Well, we can't discuss anything if it all has to be on YOUR terms. You seem to have everything figured out with preconceived notions and I suspect your mind is closed any new concepts. For instance, you to say that belief SHOULD be based on evidence, but that's not necessarily true. Do you believe that there's other Planets out there, that could be just like Earth? If so, why? You don't have concrete evidence. OR it could be that the evidence is there, but you simply reject it, 'cause it doesn't fit your (mis)perception of "evidence". Like I said, perhaps you want the "Burning Bush". I pointed out that ALL Bulls eye shooters, pro competition shooters, military and LEO snipers,etc have "match Grade" barrels in their guns. Now, if there's NO difference, why is that? Are you saying that they ALL are just buying into some false hype? Nope, I'm positive that they all have match grade barrels because there IS something to it. It's foolish to ignore the experience of others. That is the basis of a lot of learning. You ignore the evidence I presented, so you want some kind of evidence that you have concocted in your own mind. You want to dismiss the very concepts that makes match grade barrel better than plain ones, like the CEO of Lothar explained. You simply dismissed him because YOU conclude that he automatically has ulterior motives (and nothing important to say). That just shows your cynicism. The whole point is that the difference IS the process in which it's made, produces a superior barrel and it's not just about accuracy, but also about durability and reliability. You claim that folks will "pass up" a gun because it doesn't have match grade barrel in it. Where is the same evidence, that you demand, for that? BTW, Kahr T,P and K series DO have match grade barrels. I have a CT40 and put in a match grade barrel and a milled slide stop from a T40, but see, I'm a "make lemonade out of lemons" kind of guy. I bought a Kimber CDP Pro, but found out it had MIMS parts in it. Did I throw the gun away? NO, I love the size of that pistol, the looks and the way they "melted" the edges, etc., so I simply replaced the MIMS parts with Wilson Combat "Bulletproof", forged parts and put a Bobtail on it. MIMS parts are a process that came up to save money, NOT because it's superior. Match grade is a more expensive process to make the barrel superior.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Round Rock, Texas
    Posts
    3,226

    Default

    Serious question:
    Do MIM parts have a history of breaking or are less reliable in general?

    I'll hang up & listen (don't want to get involved in the back & forth).
    "My God, Woodrow. It has been quite a party, ain't it?"

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California
    Posts
    894

    Default

    Locked threads seem to follow you around, don't you agree?
    27 years in a Federal Penitentiary
    6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Pensacola, Fl
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Serious question:
    Do MIM parts have a history of breaking or are less reliable in general?

    I'll hang up & listen (don't want to get involved in the back & forth).
    Not sure that the data is being compiled. Research into the training ranges, like Gun site and Thunder Ranch, etc, report a lot of pistol failures, but nothing specifically.

    Found this: https://www.paulsontraining.com/inje...-molded-parts/

    And this: https://www.creativemechanisms.com/b...ow-to-fix-them

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
    Locked threads seem to follow you around, don't you agree?

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
    Locked threads seem to follow you around, don't you agree?
    TIFWIW but at least the fourms have been a little lively lately. With that said, Iím taking up a collection to send a certiain someone to sensitivity training. 😇
    ​O|||||||O

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wet & Wild Pacific NW
    Posts
    27,798

    Default

    Reminds me of a few officers here that are all about Tactical. I can't even remember what it was they wanted but there was a regular version and a tactical version.

    For the life of me I couldn't find any difference in the two and I finally emailed. I've dealt with them (whoever they were, don't remember) and figured I'd get a solid answer.

    I asked what the difference was. The tactical had "Tactical" engraved on the side and was as I recall 60 dollars give or take more.

    I told this to the officer and he said get the Tactical anyway.

    This of course isn't the same as match grade and not match grade barrels.. There is a difference.
    To me for the majority of the population it doesn't make that much difference out of a 4'' or less length barrel. Non match in most cases will be as accurate or more accurate than the shooter can shoot. Longevity isn't an issue for most as they don't get to shoot as much as they'd like, or in most cases spread their shooting over so many different guns that the wear is spread out.

    To me the real dilemma is mule over horse. Now personally I'd take a good mule over a horse any day of the week. Sure they can be a might stubborn but horses can be down right disagreeable from time to time too.

    Give me the mule any day.
    http://bawanna45.wix.com/bawannas-grip-emporium#!
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

    RIP Muggsy & TMan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Tommy Gun   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen