Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The barrels - what IS the real deal?

And BTW - CZs have always been conventionally rifled, and have been JUST as accurate as HKs and better than Glocks which have polygonal rifling. (Leaving out P7s which are a whole nuda game).

Was told by Kahr that all slides and barrels in both the value series and premium series are made of 416 stainless steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Was told by Kahr that all slides and barrels in both the value series and premium series are made of 416 stainless steel.
    This I absolutely believe - no reason to do otherwise. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kahrbrian View Post

I had NO idea the slides on the premium guns had different metallurgy. Have a link for that? Thanks.

A link on the Kahr website take one to a recent NRA Rifleman article in which the statement that the CW line is not made from 416 steel.
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ts-own-market/

Can't recall where the barrel difference info is from but it's basic context was that "C" lines are not from Lothar Walther stock. I don't believe Lothar Walther specifically says what their barrels are except to say "proprietary metal".
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Funny - that article was what prompted me to ask Kahr.

On the "old" website, I read somewhere that it was indeed 416 stainless for both.

I tend to agree with the person I spoke with at the mothership, as that article also states that the value series barrels are not coated - they clearly are.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

I shoot a lot of lead, so I prefer the rifled barrel.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ts-own-market/

this article is bogus. The Kahr site says the C line of pistols use 416 stainless - ALL Kahr pistols have the same quality steel in the slide. And as pointed out, there is a coating on the value line barrels.

And, no one has shown a difference in accuracy or longevity. If one was CHF, and one wasn’t there would be a difference I would immediately understand. Words like “match grade” are meaningless.

About barrel coating, my older P series barrels are very highly polished to a gloss sheen but my TP45 with a BOD one year ago has a mat finished barrel as does the replacement barrel on a P380. I'm referring to the exterior finish. The ramp and rifleing are polished.

My older PM9 has a matte barrel coating. I thought this was actually nickel? I cannot find a recent source for it.

I will summarize what I think so far:

The barrels are different in that they are not polygonal and are not Lothar "match grade". By all reports, there is NO discernible difference in performance. In fact, I've seen some excellent results from C series. Material is likely the same. So, to most barrels are a wash. (For some who shoot lead, value series is actually preferable).

As for the premium guns. Slides are the same in material/quality. SS are MIM vs. milled. one or two mags vs. 3. I'll have to say that my old PM 9 only came with 2 mags. New S series have 2. Sights are not dovetailed in the front.

OK... made me look into the slide material question. I was wrong. The Kahr site clearly states that the slides of both the Premium and Value lines are made from the same 416 stainless.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.